Notebook: Lattimore fumbles for first time in Chick-fil-A Bowl

Freshman loses ball, knocked out of game on one play

ATLANTA — Freshman running back Marcus Lattimore fumbled for the first time in his career on the first series of the game. The reigning SEC Freshman of the Year was hit on a screen pass by Florida State cornerback Greg Reid. The fumble was Lattimore's first in 249 carries.

"That was an unfortunate play," coach Steve Spurrier said. "We hit him a little wider than we wanted to. It wasn't a terrible offensive performance, but the turnovers hurt us."

The freshman was also hurt on the play, lying on the field for several minutes after the tackle was made. He ended up walking off on his own and was later diagnosed with a cut lip and a slight concussion. Lattimore didn't return to the game and was taken to Atlanta-area hospital to receive sutures in his mouth. He was released later that night.

Sophomore running back Kenny Miles, who has played sparingly all season with the emergence of Lattimore, took his place. Miles ended up with 70 yards total, spurred with a 28-yard rush.

Hopkins excels: FSU kicker Dustin Hopkins was vital for the Seminoles, tying the Chick-fil-A Bowl record with four field goals on the night.

Hopkins also excelled during kickoffs by taking USC kick returner Bryce Sherman out of the game with his consistent touchbacks. His only blunder was an out-of-bounds kickoff in the first quarter.

"They have a heck of a kicker," Spurrier said. "They must have gained 250 yards in the kicking game."

In the last game of his career, USC kicker Spencer Lanning made one field goal and booted some lengthy punts as well.

Poor special teams: Spurrier was not pleased with special teams coverage. FSU totaled 115 punt and kick return yards. Reid especially burned USC, racking up 71 yards alone.

"You can't win big games playing special teams the way we do," Spurrier said. "You have to play offense and defense pretty much perfect."

Former Gamecocks in attendance: Two current Atlanta Falcons and former Gamecocks were in attendance at the Chick-fil-A Bowl, as cornerback Dunta Robinson and defensive end John Abraham cheered for USC inside the Georgia Dome.

Heisman Trophy winner George Rogers delivered the game ball for USC in a flame-covered Chick-fil-A car.

Trickeration: On South Carolina's first touchdown of the game, Spurrier went deep into the playbook.

Receiver Ace Sanders caught a screen from Garcia, waited and then threw back to Garcia for the first touchdown catch of the quarterback's career.

Big plays from Jeffery: The sophomore wideout had another solid day catching the ball, hauling in nine passes for 130 yards. His best catch was a pass from Stephon Gilmore out of the Wildcock formation, as Garcia left the game and the sophomore cornerback stepped in at quarterback . It was much like the 2009 Clemson game, where Jeffery hauled in a floater pass from Gilmore.

Junior on the field: Wide receivers coach Steve Spurrier Jr. was on the sideline for the first time this season, instead of staying in the press box alongside associate head coach for defense Ellis Johnson. In place of Spurrier, quarterbacks coach G.A. Mangus was in the box.