The Mix Tape: Five Golden Globe Nominees We're Obsessing About This Week

Jake Gyllenhaal

“Love and Other Drugs”
Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Comedy

Although “Love and Other Drugs” wasn’t widely recognized at The Globes, it did earn nods for its two leading roles. Jake Gyllenhaal, who stars alongside Anne Hathaway as her beau Jamie Randall, manages to bring light to a been-done role. The plot is a bit predictable and cliché, but Gyllenhaal gives reason to keep watching. Aside from adding some on-screen eye candy, the actor on the rise perfectly plays out the struggle among money, success and love. The pharmaceutical representative who makes it big by nabbing rights to Viagra sales leaves Hathaway and women across the country swooning.

Eric Stonestreet

“Modern Family”
Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television

Eric Stonestreet, who plays Cameron Tucker in the comedy hit “Modern Family,” is nominated for the Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actor in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television. Stonestreet is one of the most hilarious actors on “Modern Family,” and despite tough competition from fellow nominees Chris Colfer of “Glee” and Chris Noth of “The Good Wife,” he stands a  solid chance of walking away with the Globe this Sunday.

Mila Kunis

“Black Swan”
Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture

“Black Swan,” the late-in-the-game smash hit, already cleaned up at The Golden Globes with nominations in just about every movie category. Mila Kunis, who plays Lily, Nina’s (Natalie Portman) understudy in the film, is the overlooked and underappreciated actress of the drama with Portman’s wildly complex character stealing the spotlight. Kunis, the impulsive and sexual party girl, is effortlessly brilliant in her portrayal of the wild child and naturally great Black Swan, mentally rivaling Portman in the most believable way. Although she is simply characterized as the understudy, Kunis represents a psychological vixen and plot-twisting antagonist.

Hugh Laurie

“House”
Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Drama

Hugh Laurie, star of “House,” is undoubtably one of the best actors on television today. Not only does he flawlessly deliver his character’s dry humor and biting wit, the Oxford native does it all while suppressing his English accent. His spot-on performance can simultaneously make you laugh at his insults of fellow characters and cry at his struggles with drug addiction and neurotic need to save his patients.

Jane Lynch

“Glee”
Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television

Jane Lynch has long been one of the main draws of viewers to the smash-hit musical comedy “Glee.” As Coach Sue Sylvester, Lynch has perfected the sinister antagonist role. Despite her rough and unforgiving exterior, Lynch is able depict the soft side of Coach Sylvester in the most hilarious, and sometimes even heartwarming, ways. She very clearly deserves the nomination for Best Supporting Actress in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television, and is one of the leading nominees to take home the award.