Band breakups shape music scene

These days, we have a built-in timeline for predicting the life of a band. Get together, make it big and then after three studio albums, split apart due to “creative” or “musical” differences. Five years later, start planning your multimillion-dollar reunion tour (complete with a new drummer and bassist) to appease your heartbroken fans.

Were they brother and sister? Were they ever really married? We may never know the truth about Jack and Meg White, but we do know that the world of music lost two of its finest on Feb. 2 when the duo announced it would no longer record or perform as the White Stripes. The two, who have performed together since 1997 and have received critical acclaim for their garage-rock rootsy sound on almost every album released, said that the decision to break up came in an effort to “preserve what is beautiful and special about the band and have it stay that way.” No parting drama here.

The Beatles

Sure, it’s easy enough to blame the Fab Four’s legendary breakup on Yoko Ono, but the truth is, the long and winding road had been coming to an end for some time before it was really over. After their initial leap across the pond, artistic viewpoints and constant bickering over the band’s direction put a strain on the Beatles, with both George Harrison and Ringo Starr taking a several breaks from the group between 1968 and 1969. Although each member had officially left the band and was working on solo projects by the end of 1970, it took five more years to officially dissolve the Beatles, thus making their breakup almost as legendary as their music.

The Smashing Pumpkins

If you were a moody, alternative teen in the ’90s, chances are the Smashing Pumpkins were your godsend. Fronted by the weirdly fantastic Billy Corgan, the Pumpkins enjoyed both underground and mainstream success with their unique blend of rock and electronica. Formed in 1988, the band has seen more comings and goings than most musicians, with drug use and various style-related arguments fueling the fire. In 2000, Corgan announced the band’s decision to split, and the group disbanded after a final farewell concert in December. In 2005, Corgan debuted plans to reunite the band with other original member Jimmy Chamberlin. Unfortunately Chamberlin left the band in 2009, and since then Corgan has been recording and touring with an all-new lineup.

N.W.A

For a group that gained success as one of the most dominant rap acts in the industry, the members certainly had a short ride together. Comprised of rappers Eazy-E, Dr. Dre, MC Ren, DJ Yella and Ice Cube, N.W.A broke out in the late ’80s and early ’90s rap scene with the release of “Straight Outta Compton.” This album introduced the concept of “gangsta rap” into the mainstream, with hits like “Gangsta Gangsta” and “F*** tha Police” giving a face to the rough times in South Central Los Angeles. Unfortunately, arguments over money and respective solo careers caused N.W.A to disintegrate, with Ice Cube exiting in late 1989 and Dr. Dre following three years later. Bad blood brewed as members and ex-members dissed each other via rap lyrics on their albums, but all that came to a halt with the death of Eazy-E in 1995. In the 16 years since, no reunion has been discussed.