Beamer departs for VT

USC assistant coach takes job under father

Shane Beamer is going home once again.

After four years as an assistant on South Carolina’s staff, Beamer accepted an offer Monday afternoon to become the running backs coach at Virginia Tech, his former alma mater and the program coached by his father Frank Beamer.

“I think it’s a wonderful move for Shane to get to coach with his dad,” USC coach Steve Spurrier said. “The opportunity to coach with him had never come up, and it came up. We wish Shane well.”

Beamer served as Carolina’s special teams coordinator, spurs and strong safeties coach and recruiting coordinator in 2010 and was responsible for a number of the team’s newest signees, including Manning defensive tackle Phillip Dukes and St. Matthews wide receiver Shamier Jeffery.

“Shane did a super job recruiting not only his guys this year but coordinating all the recruiting,” Spurrier said. “He’s been an excellent coach here. We understand coaching with your dad is something I think you should do.”

Returning to Blacksburg, Va., for the first time as a coach, the former Hokie long snapper is set to take to the Lane Stadium sidelines once again.

“I’m extremely excited about the opportunity to return to Virginia Tech,” Beamer said. “I’ve been gone 11 years, and during that time I’ve been around a number of great coaches and great programs and had the opportunity to learn a lot. Now, I look forward to returning to Blacksburg and helping Virginia Tech continue to win championships.”

Beamer takes over the position formerly held by Billy Hite, who was named assistant to the head coach and senior advisor after 33 years as running backs coach. Frank Beamer believes the experience his son brings will make a significant difference to the program.

“I think we’re fortunate to get Shane to come back to Virginia Tech,” he said in a release. “He’s had the opportunity to develop a good background, having coached at Georgia Tech, Tennessee, Mississippi State and South Carolina.”

As far as USC’s coaching vacancy is concerned, Spurrier said the open position will be addressed in the near future.

“We have a little time to look into that,” he said. “I think we’re looking for the best special teams guy with the best track record we can find. That’s what I’m looking for right there.”