Celebrity lives exposed in books

Upcoming biographies dish on behind-the-fame stories of Nikki Sixx, Jay-Z, Sarah Palin

They’re walking the red carpets on the E! Channel. They’re buying groceries from Costco in the pages of your favorite tabloid. They’re even getting into comedic — yet still romantic — situations on the silver screen in your movie theater. They’re celebrities, and they’re everywhere.

Celebrities are as much a part of our lives as having a bowl of Wheaties in the morning. And with this fame comes thousands of screaming fans lapping up every single detail of their chosen idol, from birthdays to shampoo preference. But, when the juicy gossip in “Star” magazine or E! True Hollywood Story simply won’t do, there’s the celebrity biography. Think of any big name out there, and chances are there’s a book with their face on it. These books can be true or semi-true, authorized or unauthorized (sorry, Tom Cruise) and interesting or incredibly boring. Here’s a list of celeb biographies — and one autobiography to be released in 2011 — that are sure to be page-turners.

“Empire State of Mind: How Jay-Z Went From Street Corner to Corner Office”
By: Zack O’Malley Greenburg

The story of Shawn Corey Carter, or Jay-Z, is the typical rags-to-riches tale, and for the first time that story will be chronicled in its entirety. The book, which will be published by the Penguin Group, was written by Forbes staff writer O’Malley Greenburg and will retell the story of Carter’s ascent from his days of hustling in the Brooklyn projects to his multi-billion dollar empire in the business world. Although the book will closely follow the release of the rap mogul’s memoir, Decoded, the biography will focus less on the words behind his music, and more on the story of his life. And if that’s not enough, the book will also include business success tips from the rapper himself. Currently, “Empire State of Mind: How Jay-Z Went From Street Corner to Corner Office” is slated for release in March.

“This is Gonna Hurt: Music, Photography and Life Through the Distorted Lens of Nikki Sixx”
By: Nikki Sixx

As the bassist of hardcore metal group Mötley Crüe, Nikki Sixx forged himself a reputation of women, drugs and booze that would put most rockers to shame. Although Sixx has since cleaned up his act, fans still love reading about the rocker’s dirty past, and he has decided to whet their appetite with the April release of his new book. Sixx’s “The Heroin Diaries,” a collection of his personal journals during his time with Crüe, made the New York Times Best Seller list in 2007, and he has written his latest autobiography as an inside glimpse of the inner workings of his own brain. Critics have already cited the book as having the same honestly raw feel as “The Heroin Diaries,” although this new piece includes a foreword by Sixx’s ex-girlfriend, famous tattoo artist Kat Von D.

“The Lies of Sarah Palin: The Untold Story Behind Her Relentless Quest for Power”
By: Geoffrey Dunn

After Sarah Palin’s autobiography “Going Rogue” was scrutinized by critics and fans alike for having less-than-true facts, Dunn, well-known for his expert investigations into the world of politics, decided to release his version of Palin’s biography. Joking with reporters that he hoped to have the book “fit in the back of an SUV” due to its large amount of content, Dunn researched Palin’s role in the GOP as well as her intentions to run for president in 2012. The book, which will most likely be released this June, is built upon various documents and countless interviews that Dunn encountered while doing research on the Mama Grizzly.