Gaeckle’s shooting: a time to reflect

I was shocked this weekend to hear about the attack on Andrew Gaeckle, former USC student body president (2008-09).

As he recovers in Washington, D.C., many members of our Carolina family, here on campus and far afield, are wishing and praying for Andrew’s healing and for the full recovery of Andrew, his family and his loved ones.

I ask you to consider that any situation, even one as senseless as this shooting, is an opportunity to learn.

First, the gift of life is fragile. We owe it to ourselves, our families and those who care about us to cherish life and to minimize unnecessary risks. Although some events are beyond our control, we can take care of ourselves, and we can be a friend to those at Carolina who may be putting themselves at risk.

Second, take advantage of opportunities that come your way every day. Don’t just be. Live your student lives fully. Consider every day of your life at Carolina one to be treasured.

Daily hardships will wax and wane, but no hardship should extinguish the zeal you brought to Carolina on your first day on campus.

Finally, remember that there is a vast network of staff and programs here to help you. Don’t ever be shy about reaching out to ask for help on any problem, big or small, whether you are struggling physically, emotionally, academically or in some other area of life.

Knowing Andrew, I’m sure he’ll emerge with a positive outlook, and he would encourage us, likewise, to be reminded of the precious but delicate nature of life. I hope you’ll keep these thoughts in mind and think of Andrew as he recuperates.