In our opinion: SG hits home run with taxi rides for students

The university is going to take students home from Five Points with money from a fee everyone already has to pay. The Carolina Cab taxi service, an initiative Student Government has been working on for several months, will be unveiled March 24.

This is one of the best things SG has ever done for the student body.

College students are, legalities aside, going to drink, so it's great that the university is concerned with getting students back home safely.

The cab service will hopefully be more effective than the old Cocky's Caravan system. While the caravan system had good intentions, it died from poor advertising and low student interest. And the new program is saving the university thousands of dollars.

In order for the new service to stay running, SG needs to let students know how the cabs work. The pick-up times and locations should be advertised across campus. Maybe an e-mail could be sent out to all students with more information about the service.

This thing works both ways, though. Students need to take advantage of this service by using it when they go downtown. If it's a good experience, let friends know you liked using it, and give positive feedback to those who put the initiative in action.

If you're not satisfied with the service you're getting, send a letter to SG. Let them know how they can make the system run more smoothly and effectively.

Changes can't be made unless people know there are problems to fix.