USC homers put new bats to shame

With the talk about BBCOR standards and ball exit speed over the past few weeks, I half-expected to show up to the ballpark and see a bunch of guys hitting with bats that had the composition of a soggy baguette in a defensive-battle bound to end 4-1 or 5-2.

However, at least for one day, South Carolina showed evidence the dawn of the dead bat era in collegiate baseball might not be as nigh as assumed. Jackie Bradley Jr., Scott Wingo and Christian Walker each hit home runs in USC's opening day win over Santa Clara.

"I guess we hit three home runs today, which is probably unexpected a little bit," USC coach Ray Tanner said.

The widespread opinion coming into the season was the new bats would still look as if they were designed by NASA, but would function like every piece of white ash the Hillerich and Bradsby Co. shaves down into a Louisville Slugger.

It didn't work that way Friday.

Did the home runs fly into the sky like the balloons released during the pregame ceremony? No. Bradley's was announced as going an advertisement-sponsored estimated 402 feet much to the amusement of the press box, but it went no further than 350. Wingo's just cleared the fence. Walker's landed in the bullpen but according to Tanner, "would've been up on the concourse" last year.

Then again, a round tripper is a round tripper. In the box score, they all look like Roy Hobbs taking out the light tower. And with the expected drop-off – Tanner said Thursday he expects USC to have 40 percent fewer home runs this year – the Gamecocks will take what they can get.

"Once it warms up, the bats really aren't that bad," Bradley said. "Of course they're different, but it's something you've got to get used to."

Wingo, Bradley and Tanner all referenced the weather, echoing a popular theory that balls will jump more when it gets warmer. Friday was by no means a scorcher, but it was warmer than previous openers. Could that have helped? Sure, but it was by no means the Cactus League off the banks of the mighty Congaree during the game.

Now, I'd be remiss if I didn't follow Bradley's lead and acknowledge the fact Adam Matthews had a ball die at the warning track and Wingo had a double hit off the top of the right field wall in the third. If the two had been using the old bats, Bradley said, they probably would've had home runs.

OK. That's probably the case. But Monday's three homers indicated the bats may end up being an adjustment to the game rather than a radical overhaul. They might reduce runs scored and home runs, but they aren't going to up and up stop them from occurring. Hitters are still going to get theirs.

"If you really hit the ball and don't miss it, it's going to go out no matter what you're swinging," Bradley said.

Today, three guys really hit the ball for Carolina and didn't miss. The result was three home runs.

"There's going to be days where you don't hit home runs," Tanner said. "But we hit them today."

Yes, the Gamecocks did. And yes, it remains to be seen if they can do it every day.

But, the beautiful thing about baseball is that today is the only day that matters.

Hence, today, the long ball is still eligible to be dug.