Resilient USC heads west to face three ranked squads

Equestrian to face TCU, Fresno State, Baylor in California

Resilience. 

It is a word the South Carolina equestrian team has made its motto this year and one that will define its weekend as it travels to California for the Best of the West Tournament, a two-day meet against TCU, Baylor and Fresno State.

Coming off a 10-9 loss against No. 2 Auburn, the No. 6 Gamecocks (4-6) will have to rise up from the loss and ride their best in order to take down the other three teams, all of which are ranked in the top 10.

"One thing about this team is it's a resilient team," coach Boo Major said. "We definitely are still trying to find our groove."

The meet this weekend is like no other in the country. Unlike a dual meet or competition, this is a tournament. South Carolina will compete against Texas Christian on Saturday and then take on both Fresno State and Baylor on Sunday.

"It's a little different because we're competing in a tournament this weekend," Major said. "Instead of competing five people, we're only competing three per event ... The good thing about the competition this weekend, the tests and patterns — they're using the same ones on each day. Instead of having to memorize three different routines, [we] only have to memorize two."

TCU is the nation's fifth-ranked team while Baylor and Fresno State are Nos. 8 and 9. USC defeated Baylor in Waco, Texas, last month. Major said a key to bringing home three wins this weekend is getting both the Hunt Seat and Western riders to ride at their best at the same time. In a tight win over Georgia, the Western team swept the horsemanship event and brought the team up from behind in reining to win the event and the meet. Last weekend at Auburn, the Hunt Seat team jumped to a 3-2 lead in equitation over fences but the reining team struggled, only winning one of the five matchups.

"I think that one of the things we are trying to do is have both teams perform as well as they can and not get discouraged, which is difficult with the losses that we've had," Major said. "Their attitude is always good, but they get discouraged very easily. I think the goal is to try and stay positive no matter what. If we can keep that attitude, stay resilient, we'll do OK."

Major said the coaches have spent extra time with the girls competing this weekend, trying to make sure they are ready both physically and mentally to ride after traveling last weekend, having a short practice week and traveling again this weekend.

"We're a little hurried, but we're not really changing our routine," Major said. "We don't have as many people that we have to prepare for this weekend, so we're looking at working with them more one-on-one rather than in a group."