Short Hops: Week 1

How the rest of the SEC, plus Clemson, fared this weekend

Clemson: Eagles steal a “Wild” one
The weekend ended in a series win for No. 11 Clemson but not a sweep. Eastern Michigan stole the middle game Saturday, winning 7-6 on a two-out wild pitch in the top of the eighth. CU did bounce back on Sunday with a vengeance, winning the getaway game 5-1.
Georgia: A disastrous opening
The Bulldogs had 11 players drafted in the 2009 MLB Draft, and they’re still feeling the aftereffects. UGA suffered a three-game sweep at the hands of Atlantic Sun member Stetson in DeLand, Fla.

Arkansas: Newcomers look good
Arkansas had to replace several players from last year’s Super Regional club, but the new guys got the job done in a three-game sweep of Delaware State — the Razorbacks’ third season-opening sweep in four years. The Hogs were especially dominant on the mound, striking out 37 DSU batters in the three games.

Vanderbilt: Fun at the beach
The No. 3 Commodores came ashore in San Diego this weekend and looked like the national championship contenders they have been heralded as. VU swept a three-game set from San Diego in addition to winning a one-game meeting with San Diego State thanks to a four-run ninth inning.

Ole Miss: The price is Wright
Junior college transfer Austin Wright starred in his Rebel debut against, of all teams, Wright State. The righty threw five strong innings, giving up one run on six hits and striking out five as Ole Miss won 6-5 to complete a series sweep in Oxford.

Mississippi State: Turning the page?
It’s only a weekend, but MSU looked like it might be getting close to becoming the team it has aspired to be since John Cohen became head coach. The Bulldogs took two games each from Akron and Lamar in Starkville, winning all four by a combined score of 40-3, with Sunday’s 17-2 win over Lamar serving as the exclamation point.

Alabama: Gloves take hold
With a lot of key players from last year’s surprising Super Regional team gone, there were worries the Alabama defense would struggle. So far, so good — the Tide had only one error in a three-game sweep of Alcorn State in Tuscaloosa.

Auburn: Two wins and a Cavalier beating
The good news for the Tigers? They won two games over the weekend, knocking off Arkansas State and UAB at home. The bad? They lost the game everyone was likely paying attention to. AU was thumped by No. 13 Virginia 13-2 on Saturday. The game was scoreless through four innings before UVA broke it open with three runs in the fifth and sixth innings.

LSU: McCune leads way to sweep
Freshman pitcher Kurt McCune made his debut at Alex Box Stadium a solid one. McCune threw six innings of one-hit ball with seven strikeouts as the No. 20 Bayou Bengals completed a three-game sweep of Wake Forest with a 9-1 win Sunday.

Kentucky: Meyer shines in otherwise rough weekend
UK went winless in its first three games, falling to No. 19 Charleston, Marshall and Miami of Ohio this weekend in Charleston. However, Alex Meyer’s 13 strikeouts in seven innings Sunday against the RedHawks earned him a nod as one of Louisville Slugger’s three National Players of the Week.

Florida: Looking like the best
The No. 1 Gators lived up to their lofty preseason expectations in the opening weekend, sweeping South Florida in Gainesville on the strength of a 5-0 win Sunday.

Tennessee: Near miss
A win away from a sweep of UW-Milwaukee, Tennessee fell into an early 9-0 hole and couldn’t bounce back as the Panthers salvaged a three-game set with a 9-6 win. The Vols just have to hope Sunday’s loss isn’t a precursor of a repeat of 2010, which saw UT lose to Binghamton, Eastern Kentucky, Western Kentucky and Kennesaw State in nonconference play.