Softball aims for strong start to new era

USC prepares to open season under first-year coach

A framed picture hangs on the wall of Beverly Smith’s office, showing a group of players standing in the outfield with the words “New Chapter” written out with softballs.

For the first-year coach and South Carolina, this is the motto of the season.

“We haven’t talked a lot about last season. Everything we’ve talked about is [being] the new chapter,” Smith said. “You’ve got new coaches, new teammates, and we’re a new team. We’ve talked about honoring our past, respecting the tradition and moving forward. So we’ve done very little talk about last season.”

Going along with the philosophy of being a new team, Smith said every player had to earn her spot.

“Because we are all new, everybody started on the same page, and everybody had to get out there and prove themselves to us,” Smith said. “They had a lot of competition, so the ones that are out there earned their spots.”

With opening day finally upon them, Smith believes she is just as excited as her players, if not more.

“I feel like we’re ready, prepared, and now I just want to take our game to the field,” Smith said. “Nothing like a game to tell us what we need to work on. I feel like the kids are prepared.”

Adding to Smith’s opening weekend was a phone call from former coach Joyce Compton, wishing her and her team good luck.

Palmetto State Showdown: The Gamecocks kick off their season with a five-game home stand, beginning today with an afternoon matchup with Charleston Southern. The weekend continues with a doubleheader Saturday morning with Furman and Coastal Carolina, followed by a Sunday showdown with USC Upstate to close out the weekend.

Smith believes consistency will play a crucial role in Carolina’s success in its opener.

“I want to emphasize that we compete the same way for an entire seven innings and not how a game fluctuates,” Smith said. “When the games start, something gets exposed.”

Smith hopes to play all available pitchers over the weekend, including sophomore Audrey Broyles. Entering the year as the Gamecocks’ ace, Broyles only managed to pitch seven games last season before requiring shoulder surgery.

As far as Friday goes, however, Smith plans to start junior Kierstyn White.

Veteran leadership: USC comes into 2011 with 13 returning players from last year’s team.

“[Catcher] P.J. Fulmer is going to be our on-the-field captain,” Smith said. “She caught every game last year, and I expect her to be behind the plate every game this year. She’ll be our field general. She’s a senior and has a lot of experience under her belt.”