Carolina faces off with Furman

USC aims to keep hot streak alive

South Carolina accumulated a 14-0 record in midweek nonconference games in 2010.

It begins its quest to repeat that feat tonight when it hosts Furman at Carolina Stadium.

USC’s success this year has been the result of timely hitting and strong pitching. Through six games, the Gamecocks are averaging over seven runs per game while allowing fewer than three, and the pitching staff has already recorded two shutouts.

Junior outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr. enters the week playing as well as expected, sporting a .409 batting average, six RBI and a team-high two home runs. Sophomore first baseman Christian Walker has also gotten off to an impressive start, leading the team with a .522 batting average and eight RBI while adding one home run.

Tonight’s starter for the Gamecocks is left-hander Steven Neff. The junior pitched 1.2 innings of relief in the season opener against Santa Clara, allowing six hits and three earned runs. He struggled in Sunday’s game against Southern Illinois, however, failing to record an out as he walked one batter before hitting the second.

Neff appeared in 17 games in 2010, including one start, and finished the year with a 4.11 earned run average. He was selected in the 22nd round of the 2010 draft by the Kansas City Royals but opted to return to Carolina.

Furman opened its season with a four-game sweep of Ohio but enters tonight’s matchup as the loser of four straight. Furman’s most recent defeat came Sunday in a 9-8 decision against Cincinnati at the First Pitch Invitational.

Through eight games, the Paladins’ offense has been led by outfielders Will Miller and Will Muzika. Both lead the way with .419 batting averages and Muzika boasts a team-high seven RBI.

Like Carolina, Furman has seen substantial offensive production, averaging just under six runs per game, but has seen less success on the pitching side. After two weeks, the Paladins’ pitching staff holds a 4.37 ERA.

Both teams played twice last season, and both meetings resulted in domination for the Gamecocks. In March, Carolina hammered Furman 15-0 at Fluor Field behind a quality start from left-hander Nolan Belcher and a career-high four RBI from second baseman Scott Wingo. In May, the Gamecocks had an offensive outburst in the seventh inning, scoring nine runs en route to an 11-6 win in Columbia.

The victory was one of Carolina’s 30 home wins last season. Tonight will provide an opportunity for the Gamecocks to extend their winning streak to seven.