‘Crysis 2’ raises bar for graphics with new CryEngine 3 video game system

Less-than-stellar narrative offset by impressive visuals, multiplayer

For a few years after its release, the original “Crysis” was looked upon as the yardstick of computer hardware. The ultimate laymen’s test of PC specs became what graphical level it was capable of running “Crysis” on. It was a game admired more for its aesthetic design than for the gameplay ideas it was experimenting with.

With its most recent release, developer Crytek is back on the bleeding edge of video game graphics. The visuals of “Crysis 2” (which touts the CryEngine 3, a new video game engine) are impossible to ignore. They are less than the ridiculous leap forward that was the first game’s graphics, but they represent a technical marvel that demands to be addressed.

Whether it’s the glare of afternoon sunlight on the glass window panes of towering skyscrapers, or the white-hot sparks ejected from a fiery explosion, nearly every effect and texture in the game is impressive in some capacity. With “Crysis 2,” Crytek squeezes every ounce of power out of the consoles and most high end PCs. However, just like the first game, once players pick their proverbial jaws off the floor, they’ll find that “Crysis 2” offers much more than just outstanding visuals.

The game takes place in New York City, but aside from the occasional Big Apple iconography, this is irrelevant. What is relevant is how this change to an urban setting affects the “Crysis” gameplay. There is now much more focus to the game, as it is no longer a totally open world. However, it never feels like the game is putting the player on a strict linear route, as many combat locations open up into massive city blocks with dozens of viable options for dispatching (or entirely avoiding) enemy combatants.

So, even when the player is taking fire from entire squads of enemies, activating the iconic Nanosuit’s cloaking ability and taking to the roofs (thus bypassing the conflict altogether) is just as viable an option as activating heavy armor and mowing through every last one of them.

And it is the game’s multifaceted Nanosuit that distinguishes “Crysis” from the variety of other shooters it draws inspiration from. Each of the Nanosuit’s abilities is simply mapped to a button, so the player is able to cycle in and out of differing gameplay styles on the fly, which is, in itself, quite empowering. This is all backed by genius level design that consistently tests player skill and rewards ingenuity.

Though any player familiar with modern shooters won’t find much new, the game’s multiplayer offers unique encounters in the Nanosuit’s abilities. It isn’t exactly refreshing, but it is certainly less stale than the raw copycats of the “Call of Duty” multiplayer formula many shooters now employ.

None of this is to say that “Crysis 2” is without problems. The game’s story is a jumbled, nonsensical mess overflowing with clichés and plot holes. This isn’t a huge issue, but with all the intricate care put into the game’s other aspects, the narrative comes off as lazy and disappointing by comparison.

Also, unfortunately, players of the game’s console versions should expect to experience numerous frame rate drops and occasional texture pop in. In addition, the AI (Artificial Intelligence) can frequently detract from the experience. It’s quite common to witness an enemy stuck behind some part of the environment or simply standing stock-still in the line of fire.

While it isn’t pushing as many boundaries in graphical limitations and genre definitions, “Crysis 2” is a much more refined and enjoyable game than its predecessor. It has its fair share of issues, but it is a striking and progressive entry in the shooter genre.