Gamecocks support Red Cross relief efforts with fundraisers

Students use percent night, T-shirts to aid in wake of Japanese disaster

A little over a year after selling “Gamecocks helping Haiti” T-shirts to support relief of the 2010 earthquake, Carolina Service Council is back at it, fundraising for the American Red Cross’s Japan relief effort.

The organization is selling $10 T-shirts again this year, with “Gamecocks Helping Japan” on the front and “Thank You” written in Japanese characters on the back, which can be purchased at the Russell House Information Desk while supplies last. Similar to the “Gamecocks Helping Haiti” T-shirts, all proceeds will go to the American Red Cross relief efforts and can only be purchased with Carolina Cash.

By Tuesday afternoon, the small sizes were already sold out and more were on their way, said third-year chemistry student Rohail Kazi, who spearheaded the event.

“This fundrasier has definitely been effective. In a matter of hours, we already sold out one size,” Kazi said. “This was a national disaster that defined 2011 and that people are going to remember like last year with Haiti. Initially the devastation was unclear but once we realized it wouldn’t go away in a week, we knew we had to do something.”

Kazi said the T-shirt design was created with the help of Student Media creative services and are sold in small, medium, large, extra-large and 2XL sizes.

First-year business student Emily Cooper purchased a T-shirt Monday and said she does not consider the price to be steep on a college budget, considering the cause.

“I think $10 is a right amount and, if a lot of people purchase, it will really make a difference. Because it’s Red Cross, I know that it’s going to a good organization,” Cooper said.

Additionally, the “All One” campaign, formed by Japanese USC students, will be holding a percent night Thursday at 5 p.m. until closing at Saki Tumi, located on Gervais Street. The event is directed by fourth-year advertising student Monica Jenson, who moved to Greenville from Japan in high school.

“My mom still lives in Tokyo and my twin sister, Nicole, and I wanted to do something to help Japan,” Jenson said. “Ten percent of all purchases will go to the Red Cross.”

Jenson said they chose the location because of its proximity to campus and Thursday is Saki Tumi’s 50 cent sushi night. By Tuesday night, their Facebook event, “All One: Saki Tumi Edition,” had more than 100 attendees.