In our opinion: Darla Moore helps move USC forward

Here’s the difference between brilliance and South Carolina politics.

When she was unceremoniously removed from USC’s board of trustees, she returned to campus and delivered a beautiful and moving address that empowered students. She donated $5 million to USC in an effort to build the aerospace industry in South Carolina, a brilliant move since Boeing just announced its move to South Carolina.

The field of aerospace development is wide open, and Moore wants South Carolina at the forefront.
In her address, Moore took no cheap shots at Gov. Nikki Haley and only urged innovation, new jobs and moving forward in a state that so badly needs progress.

Now, let’s talk South Carolina politics. Less than three months into her term as the state’s governor, Haley removed USC’s biggest benefactor off the board of trustees with no formal announcement or thanks. To her, it seemed just fine to replace Moore with a campaign contributor. And then she called the request for the state to match Moore’s gift for aerospace education “premature.”

Nikki Haley is South Carolina politics.

What’s most unfortunate: Haley told The New York Times that she doesn’t lose. She’s probably proud of this decision. She’s making waves. She’s writing memoirs. She’s developing her national reputation. She’s appearing on “Army Wives.” And today she’s probably sitting in our governor’s mansion.

Darla Moore, the woman who has already made waves, developed her national reputation and could buy the governor’s mansion and USC’s campus with a few million to spare, is likely already out of the state and off to her next business deal or board meeting.

See the difference?