Ronald Patrick out for remainder of spring after eye surgery

Offensive lineman expected to recover in 1-2 months

"From what we think, the surgeons did an excellent job," coach Steve Spurrier said after USC's scrimmage Saturday. "He's got some recovery time ahead of him, but we're hoping and praying it was a very successful operation and he will not need any more surgeries."

Spurrier said Patrick should be fine to resume playing unless any complications arise, which, according to Spurrier, doctors don't foresee. The timetable for Patrick's return is 1-2 months, Spurrier indicated.

The sophomore, a native of Cocoa, Fla. appeared in three games last season. He served as center T.J. Johnson's backup last fall before transitioning back to his natural position, guard, during the offseason.

Smith continues to impress: Every time USC practices, someone has positive things to say about redshirt sophomore receiver DeAngelo Smith.

"It feels pretty good," said Smith of the praise. "I'm just out here trying to work and get a spot on the team. Just stay focused and learn the plays."

Smith continued what has been a solid spring with four catches for a scrimmage-leading 58 yards and a touchdown on Saturday. Smith, who is behind Alshon Jeffery on the depth chart, said he feels he brings speed and good hands to the field, as well as a blocking presence.

The Kingsland, Ga., native appeared in only two games last season, struggling with lingering foot injuries he said still plague him at times.

"It's not really back to a hundred [percent]," Smith said. "I'm still having problems here and there."

Smith said most of the difficulties come when he comes out of breaks in his routes.

Johnson down on defensive progress: Assistant head coach for defense Ellis Johnson said he doesn't think his unit has made improvement.

"I don't know if we made much progress in the week," Johnson said. "We had a couple of pretty good practices this week, but there are a lot of things [we didn't do well]."

Johnson wasn't pleased with numerous penalties and felt secondary coverage was not sharp. He also expressed displeasure in the lack of physical tackling, but attributed that to USC not incorporating live tackling into its practices during the week.

Sled hits: Walk-on running back Jacob Baker suffered a knee injury toward the end of the scrimmage, the severity of which was not immediately known ... Spurrier said he felt the offensive line did a decent job, noting they didn't have as many "whiffs" as in the first scrimmage ... Former USC defensive end Cliff Matthews and wide receiver Tori Gurley watched the scrimmage from the sidelines ... The Gamecocks will practice again Tuesday at the Bluff Road practice fields. The session will be open to the public and begin at 4 p.m.