Shaq Wilson healthy, back practicing for Gamecocks

Linebacker returns from hamstring injury that cost him most of 2010 season

When Shaq Wilson went down with the nagging hamstring injury that ultimately cost the sophomore linebacker the majority of his 2010 season, USC assistant head coach Ellis Johnson on several occasions lamented not having what he called "the quarterback of the defense" available to play.

Wilson is healthy now, back practicing and barking out defensive signals. He also has a new term being used to describe his worth to the Carolina defense.

"He's our compass," said cornerback Akeem Auguste. "He's the brains of the operation."

Wilson, who led the Gamecocks in tackles in 2009, suffered his injury on the first day of summer practice last August. He missed the first three games of the season before returning for USC's 35-27 loss at eventual national champion Auburn. Wilson had two fumble recoveries in that game but reaggravated the injury, ending his year. The Jacksonville, Fla. native finally returned to the field Tuesday.

"It felt good to finally put the helmet on again, have a white jersey instead of a yellow [injured] jersey," Wilson said. "It felt good moving around, going through the drills. I felt good."

The injury cost Wilson a chance to be an on-field part of USC's historic first SEC Eastern Division championship. Wilson said the team's success with him on the sidelines didn't bother him.

"I probably turned into the biggest cheerleader because I couldn't play," Wilson said. "I'm happy with all the success we had last year. I just want to come back and build on it."

Quarles debuts: Kelcy Quarles was a four-star defensive lineman coming out of Greenwood (S.C.) High School and the son of Buddy Quarles, who was a member of the famed 1984 Black Magic squad, so signing with the Gamecocks was natural.

However, it took Quarles a while to get to Columbia. Academic issues forced him to delay his entrance into USC and attend prep school at Fork Union Military Academy in Virginia this past fall. Quarles got the grades he needed and was able to enroll for the start of this semester, officially becoming a Gamecock.

"You learn not to ever take anything for granted," Quarles said of his journey. "Do the things right the first time. Don't wait too long to do it when you can just do it the first time."

Defensive line coach Brad Lawing said he was pleased with Quarles' first day.

"He's a heck of an athlete," Lawing said. "I just have to teach him. He works hard, he understands. He comes from a great program [at Fork Union]. He's been raised right in football. It's my job to get him to where he needs to be."

Lofty aspirations: South Carolina had one of its greatest seasons ever in 2010, but senior cornerback Akeem Auguste said he thinks 2011 could be even better.

"I feel like we can do a lot more than what we did," Auguste said. "We had nine wins. Shoot, I think we can get 13, 14."

If USC were to win 14 games, the most games a Division-1 team can play in a season, it would in all likelihood be the national champion.