Softball takes on Winthrop

USC travels to Rock Hill seeking revenge against pesky Eagles

The first half of USC’s softball doubleheader this past weekend against Elon went about as well as could be imagined for the Gamecocks.

Sophomore Audrey Broyles, who is back after a shoulder injury that took away most of her 2010 season, threw a complete game two-hit shutout to lead USC to a 2-0 victory.

“Anytime our pitchers can throw a shutout is something we’re going to celebrate,” said coach Beverly Smith . “Audrey came out and pitched really well. I would say it’s her best performance of the year.”

The second game, however, was a different story. USC committed three errors in the field and struggled mightily at the plate, losing 8-1 and snapping a six-game win streak that started on Feb. 18 against Georgetown.

“[The Phoenix are] the defending Southern Conference champions, and I think they lost only one starter,” Smith said. “They’re a veteran team. They’re very good. We didn’t perform in Game 2.”

After three days of practice, trying to rectify the issues that befell them in that loss, the Gamecocks head north to Rock Hill tonight to face a Winthrop team that has already defeated USC this season.

“They’re at the top of their conference,” said Smith about the Eagles. “They’re very good.”

On Feb. 16, Winthrop left Columbia with a 5-2 win over the Gamecocks. That game was also mired by USC defensive struggles. South Carolina committed five errors in the game and the Eagles broke a late 2-2 tie with three runs in the sixth inning to grab the victory. USC will have revenge on its mind, but Smith said the team will be more focused on fundamentals and playing solid softball.

“For us, I think it’s just going to be about playing the game,” Smith said. “That’s what we talked to the girls about. Winning the innings, doing the small things.”

Smith knows if they can straighten out the little things, the Gamecocks can win.