USC replaces band director

Dean cites ‘better internal options’ in removing leader

USC replaced its director of athletic bands Wednesday, less than two months after USC President Harris Pastides formed a committee to review the band’s performance.

Rebecca Phillips, formerly the associate director of bands, will now lead the Mighty Sound of the Southeast. She replaces Steve McKeithen, who will still teach at the university.

“I’m very excited to work with the Carolina Band, and together we will create an exciting game experience for our students, fans and alumni,” Phillips said. “I believe in a fast-paced SEC environment at football games. I’d like to see us do things to get the students and fans involved in cheering on our wonderful football team, and that’s on us to do.”

McKeithen didn’t return messages left on his office and cell phones Wednesday night. He took over the band in 2009.

“[McKeithen] was relieved of his responsibilities as director of athletic bands,” said Tayloe Harding, dean of the music school. “The leadership felt as though we’ve got better internal options for meeting the goals of the future. This decision is about having confidence we can fulfill a vision before we submit it to the committee for review.”

In a phone interview late Wednesday, Pastides said he was committed to growing the university’s investment in the band. Pastides said he wasn’t involved in the decision to remove McKeithen and learned of the decision through Provost Michael Amiridis.

“I want to make sure our band is resourced and taken care of like a major SEC conference should be,” Pastides said.

Those comments were echoed by Harding. He said the band’s new vision includes building its size and volume at events. He also wants to boost retention rates for band members.  More details will be released after the first meeting of the president’s committee, which will happen later this month.

“The band has got to make progress toward its future, and I have extreme confidence that Rebecca Phillips can do this,” Harding said. “She’s a very experienced band director, has been in a number of states, has a set of uniquely powerful skills and has a great relationship with our alumni.”

Phillips came to USC in 2007 as an assistant band director and professor in the School of Music. She previously worked with Louisiana State University marching band, according to USC’s website.

Harding said parties involved in the decision were notified Wednesday. The administration will meet with band members in upcoming days, he said.