City hosts autism awareness events

USC professor discusses genetic condition, effects

April is Autism Awareness Month, and the South Carolina Autism Society is hosting several events in Columbia.

The Nickelodeon Theatre in Columbia is screening a film, “Wretchers & Jabberers,” about two men with autism, at 6 p.m. April 23. There will be an Autism 101 training session from 6 to 8 p.m. at the South Carolina Autism Society office in West Columbia April 28.

According to Jane Roberts, an associate professor of psychology who studies the genetic syndrome Fragile X, which can cause autism, diagnoses of autism has increased 600 percent in the last 20 years. One percent of children in the nation and .9 percent of children in South Carolina are diagnosed with the condition. The South Carolina Education Department served over 3,000 children with autism in the 2008 school year.

Roberts, the only psychologist in her department conducting autism research, said that Fragile X is a common cause of mental impairment and the top biological cause of autism. Roberts concentrates on early detection of autism in people who are at great risk of autism.

“I work on this goal by studying high-risk samples starting in infancy and following their development through age two to see if there are early markers or red flags that are related to later diagnoses of autism,” Roberts said.

Roberts said that autism must be recognized early in childhood so that those with the condition can get the necessary care.

“To my knowledge USC does not recognize Autism Awareness Month in any special way,” Roberts said.

She said she is considering organizing activities next year.

Karen Pettus, director of USC’s Student Disability Services office, said that USC does not have any specific policies for students with autism or Asperger’s syndrome but that her office associates with a number of students with autism or Asperger’s syndrome.

“If a student is able to meet the university’s entrance requirements, they will be admitted,” Pettus said. “We then provide accommodations for each individual student in accordance with state and federal guidelines.”

Students do not need to register with the disability office, but they are encouraged to do so.

“Not only do we provide accommodations, such as extra time with tests, but our staff is highly trained to work with students with all sorts of disabilities,” Pettus said. “We provide guidance and information for students on being successful, managing your disability and yourself”.

Pettus said that not all students have a noticeable case of autism. Some students may have a difficult time getting along with other students.

“For example, as an instructor I might smile but tell you that your answer is inaccurate,” Pettus said. “A person with autism might be confused because the instructor’s face does not match the message that is being sent.”

Pettus also said that many students with autism do not work well in groups and may have few friends. She said college may be a difficult time for them.

“We work with housing if there are roommate issues, and we work with faculty and staff to help them when issues arise,” Pettus said. “We also try to help them get connected to the counseling center, career center or other off-campus resources as appropriate.”

Several faculty and staff on campus have autism as well.

Gov. Nikki Haley proclaimed April 2011 as Autism Awareness Month in South Carolina. Haley encourages “all South Carolinians to work together to ensure that individuals with autism spectrum disorder are accurately diagnosed and appropriately treated throughout their lives.”

For more information visit Jane Roberts’s website, uscdevlab.com, or the South Carolina Autism Society’s website, scautism.org.