Dean recognized for outstanding work by national organization

Professional Development Schools conference honors Les Sternberg for years of service

USC’s College of Education Dean Les Sternberg has been the first person to be recognized by National Association for Professional Development Schools at the annual PDS conference held in New Orleans this past March.

The PDS conference, which had over 900 educators from across the country attending, traditionally salutes an entire group of educators, never honoring a single individual for his or her outstanding work.

Sternberg, however, was credited for being a “tireless champion of the concept of Professional Development Schools” and an essential member and supporter of the PDS conference after serving as dean for 17 years.

“I don’t know about you, but I get nervous in front a relatively large crowd of people,” Sternberg said. “I was very surprised and honored to receive it. There were many others there who deserved it more than me.”

Dr. Sternberg has served at Carolina for almost 11 years, but has also served as dean at many other universities including Bowling Green State University, Iowa Sate University and Florida Atlantic University.

The executive director of USC’s School-University Partnerships and Clinical Experiences Bruce Field said that “the conference would not have been in existence without Les. We would not be anywhere without him.”

Dr. Sternberg said he plans to retire at the end of this semester.