Gamecocks power past Charleston for 8-3 victory

Carolina downs Cougars despite shaky start

Coming off a huge series victory over then-No. 1 Vanderbilt, South Carolina entered Tuesday’s matchup with College of Charleston looking to avoid a hangover. Despite a shaky start, it managed to do so.

While the Gamecocks didn’t match the run total they put up in last month’s contest, they managed to score enough, topping the Cougars on the road 8-3.

Charleston jumped out to an early lead behind an RBI double from catcher Rob Kral in the top of the first. Carolina was quick to counter, however, adding three runs in the second behind RBI singles from outfielders Robert Beary and Jackie Bradley Jr.

In the second, however, left-hander Tyler Webb allowed the Cougars to stay close, giving up a solo home run to outfielder Daniel Aldrich. After continuing to struggle, the sophomore was removed from the game in favor of right-handed reliever Jose Mata.

The Cougars managed to score one more run in the inning to tie the score 3-3, but Mata settled down and proceeded to get two outs before being relieved by lefty Bryan Harper. Harper went on to work 2.1 innings, allowing no hits and no runs while striking out three en route to earning his first win of the season.

Carolina’s offense continued to be productive in the fourth. With two outs and runners at first and second, second baseman Scott Wingo — who went 1-3 on the night with a pair of walks — slapped a single into right field, scoring outfielder Evan Marzilli from second and allowing Beary to advance to third.

The Cougars threatened again in the sixth, but lefty Steven Neff managed to work out of a bases-loaded jam by striking out Kral and getting third baseman Matt Leeds to ground into a fielder’s choice, maintaining the 4-3 lead.

The Gamecocks ultimately put the Cougars away in a strange seventh inning, with a two-RBI single from Adrian Morales that drew ire from the Cougars’ dugout.

After Charleston coach Monte Lee unsuccessfully argued that USC first baseman Christian Walker interfered with the play, assistant coach Matt Heath proceeded to bump chests with an umpire, resulting in an ejection. Heath didn’t go quietly, however, and had to be restrained by police after throwing an object onto the field.

Carolina went on to score two more in the seventh on a two-RBI double from shortstop Peter Mooney, capping off the team’s highest scoring performance since an 18-run total against USC Upstate two weeks ago.

Beary, Mooney and Morales finished the night with two RBIs, and Carolina’s bullpen combined to allow just three hits and no runs in eight innings of work.