Green Quad celebrates Earth Day ‘in the dark’

Students attempt to reduce energy consumption, promote green values, reduce stress levels

Green Quad hosted an event Wednesday evening for its residents and other USC students in celebration of Earth Day.

Though Earth Day falls on April 22 this year, the event, “Do it in the Dark,” was moved so as not to conflict with students’ plans for Easter and Good Friday, said Charles Lowman, residence life coordinator of Green Quad.

“We will use this event as a final opportunity to introduce students to green values by serving local food, using very little electricity and showcasing local musical talent such as the Cocktails and Green Quad residents who play in bands,” Lowman said. “We want students to enjoy being outside, so they will get to plant their own herbs like basil and rosemary and play old school games like four square and double dutch.”

Food was provided from restaurants such as Yesterdays, Al-Amir and Muchos Margaritas and was also cooked up on Green Quad’s new grill. In addition to the Cocktails, USC’s female a cappella group, music was performed by Chris Wood, a singer and resident of Green Quad.

“Tonight was all about reducing energy for one night to do our part in Earth Week,” said Jami Holloway, a second-year psychology student.

Students basked in the warm evening weather during the event and lounged on the terrace enjoying food, crafts, games and music. The event was meant a destresser from approaching finals.

“This is more of a chill event,” Holloway said.

Lowman said that the event was a good time to be had by all students who attended.

“This will be one last opportunity to enjoy the beautiful South Carolina weather and some great entertainment with friends before everyone leaves for the summer,” Lowman said.

On April 22 at 4 p.m., Green Quad will be hosting a reception to celebrate Earth Day. The new Environment and Sustainability Program (formerly the School of the Environment) will co-sponsor the event that will be awarding a student and or student group, staff member and faculty member who have demonstrated great attention to the environment of USC.