Kratch: Michael Roth has become something else

In hindsight, USC's coach may have won himself a return trip to Omaha, and possibly the 2011 national championship as well, by handing the ball to the Greer native on the fateful summer night.

Sure, there's a long way to go, as Tanner himself said after the No. 3 Gamecocks felled another top-ranked squad Friday night, this time Vanderbilt by a 3-1 margin. But from Roth's unlikely turn as postseason hero a few months ago, a team captain, fearless leader, top-of-the-rotation ace and All-American candidate has been born.

In short, just what you need to earn one of eight tickets to Nebraska in mid-June.

Roth said after the game that no matter what he does, he expects to be successful at it. That's as noble an outlook on life and sport as I've ever heard out of any athlete. But, the truth is that, especially when you've been on stages as grand as Roth has, more often than not that isn't the case. At some point, the pressure, challenge, moment, whatever, gets to you and things don't go right.

But not Roth. When you think he has done it all, he somehow tops himself again. You believe he's reached his zenith, and he elevates himself to another one.

"He's among the very best," Tanner said. "I've been fortunate to have some good guys over the years, and he certainly ranks up there."

Not bad for a guy who readily admits he would've doubted he'd be a Friday starter at this point in the season during fall practice and would've laughed at you if told so a year ago. Even more amazingly, Roth has gotten to this point without the abundance of natural gifts like some of the great pitchers Tanner has had in his 15 seasons in Columbia, but rather by maximizing everything he has to his fullest ability.

"You look sometimes at a player and you go, 'That young man is very talented,'" Tanner said. "He reaches that talent level. Some guys do not do that.

"Michael Roth, he gets everything out of what he has ability-wise. There's nothing left. He gives you everything he's got."

By doing so, he has reached heights few ever would've guessed he could. His team is reaping the benefit of such on the field – that sparking 1.24 ERA and SEC-best 8-1 record is a big reason why Carolina is where it is right now – as well as learning from what he brings to the table by following his example.

"He makes guys around him better," Tanner said. "It's natural for him. He has fun doing it. He's in the heat of the battle and you see him in the dugout and talk to him sometimes, and you'd think he's not even playing. He's that loose and comfortable."

Ah, yes, Roth's looseness and comfort level. Even the most bitter in the Upstate, traumatized by what he did to their beloved Tigers, couldn't deny that Roth loves the game and plays it the right way. He does this, Tanner said, because he's one of a rare breed – the ballplayer that understands, and embraces, the fact that this isn't life or death.

"This is a game for him," Tanner said. "He's going to go out and play and have fun and try to do well. But at the end of the day, it's still a game. He's not a guy that takes on tension and anxiety and stress. He wants to do well, and if it's not going exactly the way he wants it, he flushes it pretty quick and moves on."

About the only moving on Roth has had to do though is his weekend switch of mindset. All week he builds to his time to pitch, but once that's over, he moves on to his true love – hitting. Saturday and Sunday bring batting practice and a chance to snag a pinch hit appearance. One of these days, Roth will hit one over the fence, and add another moment to the growing pile of them.

Speaking of those ever-multiplying moments, I joked after the game that at the rate things are going, there might someday be a statue of Roth at Carolina Stadium.

After the chuckles passed though, I got to thinking.

Is anything impossible anymore when it comes to Michael Roth?

Sure doesn't seem like it.