‘Rabbit Hole’ captures subtle human emotion, wins audiences with performances by Nicole Kidman, Aaron Eckhart

Skillful acting, direction transforms simple plot into moving tale of grief

Rating: B+

Death of a loved one is always an excruciating struggle.

But when that loved one is a son or a daughter, the feelings of pain and confusion are augmented, creating a situation of grief like the one depicted in "Rabbit Hole".

Adapted from David Lindsay-Abaire's play of the same name, "Rabbit Hole" is a poignant drama that is bound to affect even the most emotionally detached of viewers.

Starting eight months after the death of Becca (Nicole Kidman) and Howie's (Aaron Eckhart) son Danny, "Rabbit Hole" picks up right when the grieving has subsided and the two parents are trying to assimilate back into society and heal their relationship.

Purposefully keeping the viewer in the dark about the back-story, "Rabbit Hole" unfolds gently, revealing little bits and pieces of the son's death while simultaneously moving forward with the story.

As with any situation, Becca and Howie grieve in very different ways, which causes conflict between them as they try to pick up the pieces. The film puts most of its focus on Nicole Kidman's character, who is emotionally stonewalled and trying to erase every trace of her lost son. Becca's emotional state sets the pace of the film, with her ups and downs mirrored by the plot.

As for the plot, "Rabbit Hole" is very spartan in nature, as the only conflict question being posed is: "What will become of Becca and Howie?"

Yet the film explores intricacies of human emotion so riveting to witness, even this one question can be overwhelming.

"Rabbit Hole" could be described as many things, but the most prominent and laudable aspect of the film is the realism. Nothing feels forced throughout the film, no squabbles or fights are overblown to make it seem more "dramatic." Instead, everything is displayed in a subtle manner, making the film much more affecting.

"Rabbit Hole" has an aspect of humanity that really makes it identifiable to the viewer. Director John Cameron Mitchell does a good job of inserting little specks of humor to add levity or demonstrate that these are two normal people going through a very abnormal and difficult circumstance.

By adding humor and candid conversations not pertaining to the death of Danny, the film invites us into the house as silent witnesses, not an audience watching from a barrier.

Kidman's performance netted her an Oscar nomination this year, and it is clearly the shining aspect of the film. However, Eckhart's portrayal of the husband is understated and foils well with Kidman's domineering performance.

"Rabbit Hole" is a very difficult and haunting film to watch, sometimes painfully so, but it certainly is worth the emotional toll that it places on the viewer.

Many films deal with death and grief, yet "Rabbit Hole" is the most relatable, which is what truly sets the film apart.