Review: 'Godzilla vs. Kong' won't come anywhere close to best picture, but it sure is fun to watch

Movie: "Godzilla vs. Kong"

Release Date: March 31, 2021

Director: Adam Wingard 

Runtime: 1 hour 53 minutes

Genre: Science Fiction, Action

Columnist’s Rating: B

Anyone hoping for "Godzilla vs. Kong" to offer a thoughtful plot and well-developed characters should find a different movie. However, if they want to simply "turn their brain off" and have fun watching big monsters fight, then this is the movie.

'"Godzilla vs. Kong" is the fourth movie in the Warner Brothers and Legendary films’ so-called "Monsterverse" that started with Gareth Edwards' "Godzilla" in 2014. It’s currently streaming on HBO max as well as being shown in most chain theaters.

The plot follows King Kong as the tech corporation Apex hopes he will be able to lead them through the Hollow Earth, a secret area in the center of the planet. Problems arise when Kong is sailed from his home on Skull Island to Antarctica. Because both Kong and Godzilla are considered “alpha titans,” they fight for dominance, as animals do. 

Of course, the plot is really only there to give the titular titans a reason to fight, but honestly, you can’t really complain. If you’re not watching this movie to see them fight, why are you watching it at all?

Luckily for "Godzilla vs. Kong," the fights are an extreme joy to watch. 

Without a doubt, the best part of the movie is the final showdown where the two face off in Hong Kong at night. Surrounded by neon lights and tall buildings, the two squaring off is just too much fun to watch. 

Between the powerhouse that is Godzilla knocking down buildings and firing his atomic blast, and Kong jumping from buildings, creating tools and generally outsmarting his opponent, the viewer is entertained no matter who they're rooting for.

In most movies regarding monsters like Godzilla, the humans are the least interesting part. 

Half of the human cast is made up of Julian Dennison, Brian Tyree Henry and Millie Bobby Brown reprising her role from "Godzilla: King of the Monsters."

Their plotline focuses on Godzilla. This group falls into the same category as most humans in these movies: just dumping out exposition. They aren’t particularly fun to watch, and it feels like their story only discovers the biggest reveal of the movie so they would have something to do.

However, the storyline featuring Alexander Skarsgard, Rebecca Hall and Kaylee Hottle’s characters is actually passable, if not a little entertaining. 

This story focuses on Kong and sees Hottle’s Jia build a special bond with the giant gorilla. These characters and their interactions feel important to the plot; they make for good scenes and don’t cause an eye roll every time they’re on screen.

Outside of the main six, everyone else is either annoying or has no bearing on the plot. Going into this movie expecting it to be more than what it is, is a recipe for disappointment. 

Is it a perfect movie? Definitely not. Does it do exactly what it needs to, and do it well? Absolutely.

"Godzilla vs. Kong" is easily the best film in the "Monsterverse" and will give you a fun time at a theater or just at home on your couch.