Relay For Life kicks off tonight with superhero theme

Annual cancer awareness fundraising event set for Blatt Fields

The event, which raises funds to support the American Cancer Society, runs for 12 hours and has over 60 teams that collectively have raised over $57,000. As of Thursday night,Team Jameson ranks highest with $8,681.05 raised.

One way teams raised money was by holding percent nights. Team Omega Phi Alpha raised over $100 in tips alone from a percent night at Sonic Thursday evening from 5 to 8 p.m.

"I'm really excited about it," said Hannah Smith, a second-year public relations student. "I raised money online before to donate to our team. I'm really excited to spend time with my sisters and still do something for a good cause. Cancer has affected so many people. Everyone knows someone who's been affected."
Smith said she is not staying for the full 12 hours, but someone from her Ninja Turtle-themed team will be there the entire time.

Although participants are not required to circle the field the whole night, there will be various acts throughout the night such as a comedy act by Kevin Shea, a performance by Delta Phi Delta, the Mr. Relay Pageant and DJing by WUSC.
Relay for Life Entertainment Chair Olivia Hubert said she is pleased with the amount of activities going on for this year's event and hopes for a good turnout.

"This year we have more competitions, more games and more performers and have a little over 1,000 registered," the fourth-year public relations student said.

As for the "Superheroes" theme, Hubert said that it represents the struggle of those affected by cancer.

"It's very symbolic in a way because all cancer survivors are superheroes," she said.