Softball no-hit in series finale against No. 1 Alabama

Gamecocks swept by nation's top-ranked team again

The Gamecocks were swept by Alabama over the weekend, and despite a valiant pitching performance, fell 1-0 in the series finale in a no-hitter from Crimson Tide pitcher Kelsi Dunne. USC dropped the first two games of the series, both with a final score of 7-0. In game two, the Gamecocks trailed by one for most of the afternoon, but Alabama's the bats woke up in the sixth, leading to six runs in the final two innings.

It looked like Alabama would put up big numbers in Sunday's finale, when leadoff batter Kayla Braud singled and was eventually driven home on an RBI single from shortstop Whitney Larsen. That would turn out to be the only run it would score, however, as Carolina's pitchers proceeded to hold Alabama to four more hits the remainder of the day.

The Gamecocks were able to hold back the Tide for the remainder of the day, but were unable to generate any offense of their own.

"[Dunne] is certainly one of the top pitchers in the country and she did a nice job against our hitters today," said coach Beverly Smith. "I was really impressed with Alabama. They're an excellent team. They're well balanced, with power, speed, and excellent pitching."

Sophomore pitcher Audrey Broyles got the start for the Gamecocks and was relieved in the fifth by freshman Julie Sarratt.

"Today we proved that we can pitch to some of the top hitters in the country," Smith said. "Audrey Broyles and Julie Sarratt combined for an excellent game."

South Carolina had its best opportunity to get on the board in the fifth when outfielder Lauren Lackey stepped to the plate with runners at the corners. Lackey struck out, however, despite getting ahead in the count 3-0.

"We were one swing away from being back in the ball game," Smith said. "We gave ourselves a chance to win. We had runners in scoring positions."

Smith said she was pleased with the fact that her team held a very potent offense to only one run on Sunday.

"We stranded nine of their runners today. We got outs when we needed to and played some tough D," Smith said. "Our key was getting the key hit, and that's really what we were lacking."