Softball to begin four-game road swing at USC Upstate

Childers provides tough task for Gamecocks

USC softball coach Beverly Smith wants her Gamecocks to take it one game at a time as they begin a four-game road trip today against USC Upstate in Spartanburg.

"Heading into the Upstate game, I think we really just [have to] worry about our game," Smith said. "Our team is playing well lately."

Waiting for the Gamecocks will be Upstate ace Morgan Childers, who recently picked up the 108th win of her standout career with the Spartans. Childers defeated the Gamecocks 3-2 in Columbia back in February, striking out 12 hitters.

"USC Upstate has an excellent pitcher," Smith said. "I think she had 12 strikeouts against us last time we faced her. We've got our work cut out for us at the plate."

The meeting starts a weeklong string of games on the road for USC, as the Gamecocks will spend this coming weekend at Arkansas.

"Our travel schedule has been tough, but I tell you it's no different than any other Division-I program. Everybody's having to do it. It's just the grind," Smith said. "Certainly I'd love to be playing at home ... sure, but it's just part of the job right now. I would expect our players to play well Wednesday, get a good night's sleep and be ready to head to Arkansas."

The Gamecocks (20-20) come into the contest needing each and every win as they fight for position in the rugged SEC.

"All of our SEC games are huge for us, but we've been taking our games one game at a time and trying to treat all games the same — none are bigger than the others," Smith said. "Heading into Arkansas, I think its just about us playing our game, focusing on limiting our mistakes, getting outs and having good at-bats"

Smith views the time on the road as a test of a team's true merit away from the comforts and distractions of being home.

"Sometimes being on the road is good," Smith said. "You have a lot less distractions when you're on the road. I think sometimes being away and [having] them at the hotel it can work in our favor."