USC announces student media leaders for next school year

Board of Publications selects students for The Daily Gamecock, Garnet & Black, WUSC, SGTV Wednesday afternoon

USC’s Student Media Board of Publications selected leaders for its four Student Media organizations Wednesday evening in a series of selection interviews inside the Russell House.

Each job opening had one candidate for Fall 2011.

Kristyn Sanito, a second-year English student and native of Aiken, was chosen as editor-in-chief of the summer edition of The Daily Gamecock. The summer edition prints weekly and employs only one editor from each section.

“I’m excited about this position because I’m very proud of the publication, and I look forward to gaining experience in such a leadership position,” Sanito said.

Josh Dawsey, current editor-in-chief of The Daily Gamecock, was reappointed to the position for Fall 2011. Dawsey is a third-year print journalism student from Aynor, S.C.

“The Daily Gamecock will return a team of talented, dedicated journalists who care about this campus and the Columbia area,” Dawsey said. “I’m very excited to continue our daily print operations while focusing more and more on new and creative ways to provide news to the Carolina community. We’ve seen a significant uptick in both page views and social media interactions with our valued student body over this past semester, and we’re excited to further develop multimedia projects.”

Dawsey also announced that current managing editor Colin Campbell will return in the same capacity for Fall 2011. Campbell is a second-year print journalism student from Catonsville, Md.

Blake Welch, a third-year visual communications student and Pelzer,S.C. native who is the current online editor for Garnet and Black, was selected to lead the publication for the next school year. Welch chose not to comment Wednesday.

Will Flourance, a third-year math communications student and native of Arlington, Va.,, was chosen as station manager of campus radio station WUSC.

“I’m looking forward to doing really big things,” Flourance said. “As station manager I’m going to hone in on bringing more regionally specific people into the community and making it a better place for creativity.”

SGTV didn’t have a qualified candidate for its station manager position. The board decided to hire a graduate assistant to direct the station in the fall, said Jerry Brewer, USC’s associate vice president for student affairs. Brewer also serves as secretary for the board.

The Board of Publications consists of USC students, professors and administrators that retains oversight over the student outlets.