KRATCH: Regional rivalries college football needs to have

Six on-the-field feuds, dormant too long

After meeting 96 times between 1893 and 2000, Penn State and Pittsburgh haven't faced each other in 11 years for various reasons. That will change in 2016, when the two teams start a home-and-home series that will open in Pittsburgh and end a year later in Happy Valley.

It isn't a real affirming support of the rivalry's return, but it's better than nothing. Hopefully, it's the beginning of a more permanent restoration. While we're on the subject, here are six rivalries — dormant, infrequent or yet to be established — we want to see on a recurring basis as soon as possible.

TEXAS-ARKANSAS
Put it this way: If two teams played a regular season game that was so iconic the sitting president of the United States, Richard Nixon, declared it the national championship game and an entire book was written about it, then the matchup should live on for a long time. The 1969 Texas-Arkansas game accomplished both things, yet the two schools have drifted apart because of conference changes. Once Arkansas has satisfied its Cowboys Stadium series with Texas A&M, it would be wise to get back with the Longhorns again.

PENN STATE-MARYLAND
These two are geographically close (fewer than 200 miles between campuses) and battle in the same recruiting regions, but they haven't met since 1993. A lot of that has to do with Penn State's astounding all-time domination of the series (PSU leads the Terps 35-1-1), but Maryland's program has come a long way over the last 18 years. There's no reason for Pitt and Maryland to rotate on and off Penn State's schedule on an every-other-year basis. There's even an NFL stadium — FedEx Field in Landover, Md. — tailor-made to host sellout neutral site contests and make both sides a lot of cash.

SOUTH CAROLINA-NORTH CAROLINA
Both schools share a dislike for the other. The UNC scheduling hijinks to push the next meeting to 2013 have created a feeling of distrust that any good rivalry can take fuel from. Both universities are the flagship institutions of their home states, which border each other. Explain to me why this shouldn't happen at least every other year.

RUTGERS-PRINCETON
OK, Rutgers would probably win every year by several touchdowns. Yes, no one outside of New Jersey would likely care much. True, creating an FBS-FCS matchup violates the spirit of the column slightly. But these two played in the first college football game ever back in 1869. Even a one-off at the new Meadowlands Stadium would be a great thing.

UCONN-BOSTON COLLEGE
Another Northeastern rivalry that many will shake their heads at, but it would go a long way in establishing a stronger sense of college football tradition in New England. Plus, if played right, it could give both schools the season-ending rival they lack right now. Here's an idea: Play the UConn-BC game in sync with the Harvard-Yale game every season and make it a day-night doubleheader in the same state.

GEORGIA-CLEMSON
These two will meet again for a home-and-home in 2013 and 2014, and Clemson associate athletics director Kyle Young recently told the Greenville News he'd be OK with the Tigers and Bulldogs meeting every year. I doubt Dabo Swinney or Mark Richt would be totally on board with that sentiment, but these two should meet more, as should USC and Georgia Tech (next two meetings scheduled for 2020 and 2021).