Gamecock football players named to preseason watch lists

Marcus Lattimore, Stephen Garcia, Alshon Jeffery, potentials for Maxwell Award

The South Carolina football program will get its cracks at major individual awards this coming season.

Seven Gamecocks have recently been named to five different preseason watch lists, which serve as early indicators of players across the nation expected to make a significant on-field impact this fall.

Stephen Garcia, Alshon Jeffery and Marcus Lattimore, who was the national freshman of the year last in 2010, were all named to the Maxwell Award list. The Maxwell Award is given annually to the most outstanding player in college football. Additionally, Jeffery was named to the watch list for the Biletnikoff Award for the nation’s best wide receiver.

Offensive linemen T.J. Johnson and Rokevious Watkins were named to the Outland Trophy list. The Outland is given to the nation’s top interior lineman, whether he plays on offense or defense.

On the defensive side of the ball, Devin Taylor and Stephon Gilmore were both named to the watch lists for the Bednarik Award and Bronko Nagurski Award (nation’s best defender).

Roland commits: When National Signing Day 2012 rolls around, it appears USC will once again receive a fax from the top-rated high school football player in the Palmetto State.

Lexington High star Shaq Roland announced on his Facebook on Saturday that he will be making the quick drive to USC for his collegiate career.

“Its (sic) finally done ... I decided to commit [to] the South Carolina Gamecocks,” Roland posted on his account.

Roland will be the third consensus No. 1 recruit from South Carolina to sign with the Gamecocks, following Marcus Lattimore in 2010 and Jadeveon Clowney this February. A two-sport athlete, there is a strong chance Roland will also play basketball at USC. If he were to, it would be in the same vein as Bruce Ellington — Roland would be on scholarship for football and participate in basketball as a walk-on when able to.

Headed to Hoover: The SEC announced Monday the student-athletes from its 12 member institutions who will be in attendance for SEC Media Days next week in Hoover, Ala. A full list is below.

Arkansas: Knile Davis, Jarius Wright and Tenarius Wright

Florida: John Brantley, William Green and Deonte Thompson

South Carolina: Alshon Jeffery, Marcus Lattimore and Travian Robertson

Mississippi State: Vick Ballard, Fletcher Cox and Chris Relf

Kentucky: Stuart Hines, Danny Trevathan and Morgan Newton

Georgia: Brandon Boykin, Ben Jones and Aaron Murray

Auburn: Emory Blake, Nosa Equae and Phillip Lutzenkirchen

Tennessee: Malik Jackson, Tauren Poole and Dallas Thomas

Alabama: Mark Barron, Dont’a Hightower and Trent Richardson

Vanderbilt: Casey Hayward, Chris Marve and Larry Smith

Ole Miss: Brandon Bolden, Kentrell Lockett and Bradley Sowell

LSU: Ryan Baker, Jordan Jefferson and Russell Shepard