BREAKING: Katie Thompson resigns as student body vice president

Decision follows criticism over Thompson's involvement in fraternity controversy

Katie Thompson resigned as USC’s student body vice president late Wednesday night, three hours after The Daily Gamecock told Thompson it would publish a story detailing her involvement in the recent fraternity controversy.

Thompson declined to comment on the story but offered her resignation letter around 11 p.m.

“The experiences and opportunities I have had the privilege of knowing are invaluable and irreplaceable,” Thompson wrote in the letter. “No one else will be able to have the honor of working with the most talented group of senators and Student Government members that USC will come to know.”

Emily Saleeby, president pro tempore of USC’s student senate, will take over Thompson’s role.

The resignation came three days after Thompson presented a four-page statement to fraternity presidents during a private meeting in the Kappa Alpha house. The statement called for an audit into the Office of Greek Life and a mediation meeting with the university’s board of trustees. It was signed by “The Assembled Members of the Greek Reform Committee,” which the letter said originated in SG.

But there were several problems with the statement.

SG issued a press release Wednesday night saying the Greek Reform Committee doesn’t exist. Never has. It was supposed to be formed later this semester, but no members or terms had been named.

The cell phone number at the bottom of the statement was attributed to Dane O’Neill, SG’s secretary of Greek affairs. The number was actually Thompson’s.

And Student Body President Joe Wright said SG took no official position on the Greek saga.

“When she showed me the letter, I told her, this letter cannot come from SG,” Wright said. “I do not approve of this. This committee was attempted to be created under false pretenses.”

SG issued an official press release Wednesday night saying “any correspondence citing such a committee should be dismissed as invalid.”

When asked whether she knew the committee never existed, Thompson declined to comment Wednesday night.

In an interview with The Daily Gamecock Tuesday, Thompson said Wright gave her the “green light” to move forward, and she’s received support from dozens at USC and other SEC schools. She said Wright couldn’t present the letter because of the “stigma that’s behind Greek Life.”

“I absolutely realize I’ve lost relationships with administrators,” Thompson said. “And that’s rightfully earned. But fraternity leaders were looking for help, and we are elected by the student body. A large percentage had concerns and needed help.”

Thompson was lauded by many in the Greek Village for what they saw as a courageous stand. But SG leaders and university officials aren’t so happy.

When asked about the statement Wednesday afternoon, Jerry Brewer said “many members of SG have come forward to me and said they don’t agree with what was said.” Brewer said he tried to reach O’Neill after the statement arrived on his desk, but his call went to Thompson’s cell instead.

Eleven members of student senate declined to comment on the matter Wednesday.

“Eventually, the storms will weather, the fires will go down and we’ll be able to continue our work,” Thompson said Tuesday.

But it wouldn’t be that way for Thompson, who finally resigned herself to the fact she could no longer lead in SG.

“Thank you to my friends, staff and all supporters,” she wrote Wednesday night. “I truly cannot wait for my next chapter to unfold.”

CLICK TO DOWNLOAD PDF COPY OF STATEMENT