Garcia, Shaw continue battle for starting QB position

Competition heats up as both perform well in scrimmage

Connor Shaw continued to impress during the scrimmage portion of South Carolina’s practice Wednesday, while Stephen Garcia bounced back a bit.

Shaw was eight-of-nine for 100 yards passing and a touchdown, while Garcia went nine-of-13 for 136 yards and a touchdown. Coach Steve Spurrier offered praise for both, but implied he could do without the interception and four sacks Garcia had as well.

“Stephen did a lot better today,” Spurrier said, “although he had a couple of errant mental errors that hopefully he can learn from.”

Shaw was sacked twice. Both he and Garcia, who are competing for the starting job, combined with third-team quarterback Andrew Clifford for 19-of-24 with 310 yards and two touchdowns.

Shaw hit Lamar Scruggs for a 37-yard touchdown, the first score of the scrimmage. Garcia later connected with freshman Damiere Byrd for a 38-yard scoring play. Clifford, who was two-of-three for 74 yards, did not throw a touchdown pass but did help generate a big play which led to one. His 63-yard deep ball to D.L. Moore set up Shon Carson for a 3-yard touchdown run.

Spurrier had little more to say after the scrimmage, offering no comment either way as to who, between Garcia and Shaw, is most likely to be named the starter for the season opener against East Carolina in nine days. Spurrier said after Tuesday’s practice a starter will be announced early next week, and that the last scrimmage will play a role in that decision.

Garcia, a fifth-year senior, has started 28 consecutive games for USC, dating back to the 2009 Outback Bowl. Shaw, a sophomore, saw limited action in nine games last fall.

Clowney watch: All indications are Jadeveon Clowney’s sprained left ankle is just as USC thought it on Tuesday — nothing serious.

“He’s (out) two or three days,” Spurrier said. “He should be OK.”

Clowney was at practice on the sideline, walking normally without a limp or any brace or support device on his foot. Spurrier said Clowney has struggled with a bone spur pinching a nerve in his left foot in the past, and the injury is thought to be an aggravation of that nagging issue.

The same sort of good news goes for defensive end Melvin Ingram, who also left Tuesday’s practice due to injury. Ingram bruised his thigh while trying to block a punt — assistant head coach for defense Ellis Johnson said Wednesday he believes Ingram took a knee to his thigh — and is also only expected to miss a few days.

Spurrier said he hopes to have both players back by the weekend.

Auguste returns: Senior cornerback Akeem Auguste was in a regular white practice jersey, and not a yellow injured one, for the first time this summer on Wednesday.

Defensive coordinator and cornerbacks coach Lorenzo Ward said Auguste needed to return to practice in order to be in line to start against ECU.

No captains yet: Spurrier said the team has not elected captains yet. Spurrier has normally named captains prior to the start of the season, but he said he doesn’t know if that will be the case this season. The captains may be chosen next week, or at a later point.