In our opinion: Fraternities, University officials need to compromise

Both sides must agree before a solution will be reached

Fraternity presidents voted to fight policy with policy on Sunday night by approving a statement that scrutinized university codes and criticized the Office of Greek Life and USC officials. The systematic approach Greek leaders used to counter the university's crackdown would have been a rational response had it not been such an intentionally rebellious action.

The fraternity presidents' request for a mediation meeting is reasonable, but the way they went about asking for the meeting did not help their case.
We understand and agree with much of what the university has done. Cracking down on dangerous activities — whether in the Greek Village or anywhere on campus — is in the best interests of both students and the entire university community. But let's be real: Greek students aren't the only ones who drink and make dangerous decisions. A universitywide conversation seems more appropriate, if we're going to have this conversation.

It just seems like the actions of a few irresponsible students have changed the image of an entire fraternity system. Sometimes, a blanket punishment is fair. Sometimes, it's overboard. This time, we're not exactly sure.
But here's what we're sure about: This situation could quickly get out of hand, and both university and Greek leaders, much like those in Washington, need to compromise. Greek leaders, you must face that university officials need to trust you and believe you'll treat new members well. Things are about to change. Tradition is being shattered. That's a fact.

University officials, taking such a strong move is bound to cause rebellion. Understand it. You don't have to give them exactly what they want, but calling them liars and degrading them publicly isn't what anyone needs.
The Greek system at this university has problems. So does the dining system. And our technology system. But just like those other aspects of life, it is a positive for this student body. Let's find a way to keep it that way.