Letter to the Editor: Tim Bryson a worthy leader

Dear Fraternity Council Presidents and Daily Gamecock Readers:

I saw this article, and I had to speak up as a past chapter president and past National Pan-Hellenic Council Programming Chair.

I'll never forget the speech I gave on behalf of Tim Bryson when he was in a three-way runoff for Fraternity Council President. I talked about his charisma, his confidence, but most importantly, his character. A few minutes later, he was elected as the first African-American fraternity council president in the university's 214-year history. I knew that it would be history-making, but also history-shaking.

I'll never forget the letter he gave me inviting me to become a member of the Fall 2013 intake class, with his contact information on the back of a business card, one afternoon after a student organization meeting. I remember how Tim told me of his fraternity experience — being the greatest thing to ever happen to him while at USC, especially since he was a recent transfer from Coastal Carolina University. I remember the patience, pride and persistence that Tim displayed when I joined his fraternity. My fraternity experience was enhanced due to the leadership of Timothy F. Bryson.

All that aside, I have absolute faith that this administration under Tim's leadership made the right decision suspending recruitment — challenging the status quo — to ensure that our fraternal principles are not in jeopardy. As a Greek man and 2015 alumnus of the great University of South Carolina, I urge you to be vocal to your fraternity presidents to vote this down. I encourage you to have dialogue about the progress of your individual organizations and Fraternity Council as a whole.

You elected him to lead; trust his leadership.