Jackie Bradley Jr. signs with Boston Red Sox, but Matt Price, Michael Roth, Tyler Webb and Adam Matthews return

Tanner "ecstatic" about deadline results

All-American outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr. will not return to USC after coming to terms with the Boston Red Sox, but outfielder Adam Matthews and pitchers Matt Price, Michael Roth and Tyler Webb will all return for another season.

"The coaches and I are ecstatic to have these veteran guys back with us again for the 2011-12 academic year," said USC coach Ray Tanner. "When you go through a year or two like we've been and you have a lot of good players, sometimes the cupboard can be bare. We've been able to avoid that."

Of the four returnees, Price was the most significant. A sixth-round selection of the Arizona Diamondbacks, USC's closer was "50-50" as to whether or not he would return to school for most of the summer. Price said he and Arizona went "back and forth," but in the end couldn't come to an agreement — something he said he is OK with.

"I wasn't ready to leave," Price said. "I felt like I needed to come back and prove myself more."

Price declined to discuss financial specifics, only to say Arizona never met his desired terms. He said the Diamondbacks told him he had the ability to either close or become a starting pitcher at the professional level.

It has been speculated for some time that if Price returned to USC, he would transition into a starting role. Tanner said it isn't a definite, but Price, who said he'll do "whatever's best for the team," is in line to be a starter at the moment.

"More than likely this year, we're going to go that way," Tanner said.

Matthews said he had discussion with the Baltimore Orioles, who selected him in the 23rd round, but they too didn't meet his requested contract demands.

"The Orioles were trying to get me at a discount, so to speak," Matthews said. "Just didn't meet what I wanted, so I figured I'll come back my senior year, have some fun and we'll see what happens."

Webb, a 48th round selection, indicated he never got serious with the Cincinnati Reds, noting he had another "leverage" year as he will only be a junior this season.

"I feel like I can contribute more to this team and university," Webb said.
Roth, who wasn't made available due to a tonsillectomy, was a 31st round selection of the Cleveland Indians. However, he made it clear from the start he was returning to USC for his senior season.

Bradley, who was taken by Boston with the 40th overall pick in the supplemental first round, signed for a $1.1 million dollar signing bonus according to Baseball America.

"He told me during the afternoon yesterday, 'It's going to come down to the deadline,'" said Price, who was Bradley's roommate for three seasons. "As soon as he figured out he was signing, he called me and let me know.

"I'm happy for him. I'm curious to see what he's going to do (as a professional)."

Tanner said he and his staff talked to Bradley in the days leading up to Signing Day, but noted in the end, players have to act in their best interests, as Bradley did by signing.

"We always say, 'Do what's best for you,'" Tanner said. "We want everybody back."

Not everyone will be back for USC in 2012 as it tries to become the first team to win three consecutive College World Series titles since Southern California won five straight from 1970 to '74. But it'll be pretty close.

"I'm certainly pleased with where we are today," Tanner said. "It could've been a lot different than it is."