New fall TV shows offer something for any taste

MTV, NBC, CBS bring out big stars for their upcoming series

Fall is finally upon us, and with it comes the start of a new school year, the crisp air as the leaves begin changing their colors and the trek to Williams-Brice Stadium each Saturday as our Gamecocks take the field. But fall also brings something else new to the table each year: a fresh crop of television shows. Each year, big name networks NBC, CBS, MTV and the like introduce new series in the hopes of bringing in ratings and roping in thousands of viewers with "original" concepts. Some of the latest shows to be released play on a few series that have already been a big hit with viewers, so no matter what day of the week, we can all tune in to see what the networks have to offer.

If You Like: "Tosh.0"
Try: "Rob Dyrdek's Ridiculousness"
Premiere: Monday, Aug. 29 at 10 p.m. on MTV

There were more than a few disappointed Gamecocks when comedian Daniel Tosh chose Arizona State University over Dinobrite Productions' "Top 10 Reasons to Come to USC" video for his college campus invasion. So if you're still feeling a little angst toward Tosh, switch over to MTV for "Ridiculousness," hosted by Rob Dyrdek, who we all know as the star of his own "Fantasy Factory." The concept does not stray too far from that of Tosh's wildly popular viral video showcase, with Dyrdek showing off a variety of popular Internet clips in humorous segments with titles like "Worst Case Scenario" and "Redneck Good Times." However, Dyrdek puts his own spin on things by inviting some of his best friends to co-host and provide their own take on each clip, and Dyrdek himself is sure to bring a more energetic and relatable spin on the classic internet clip show.

If You Like: "The Closer"
Try: "Prime Suspect"
Premiere: Thursday, Sept. 22 at 10 p.m. on NBC

Sassy female cops trying to make it in a man's world is certainly nothing new in the world of television. After all, Kevin Bacon's other half Kyra Sedgwick has been doing it for years as sugar-obsessed detective Brenda Leigh Johnson on TNT's hit drama "The Closer." Now, Maria Bello is throwing her hat into the ring as butt-kicking, loudmouth, take-no-prisoners New York detective Jane Timoney. But whereas the majority of female detectives show their grit with a side of sweetness, Bello keeps it 100-percent tough, dishing out justice and taking a few black eyes in the process. Bello, whose career has spanned over many years of both television and film work, has become known for her strong female roles, and fans can rest assured that her "Prime Suspect" character will certainly be no different.

If You Like: "Modern Family"
Try: "Up All Night"
Premiere: Wednesday, Sept. 14, at 10 p.m. on NBC

ABC's hit "Modern Family" has given a whole new meaning to the world of family comedy, and now NBC is hoping to do the same with its own hilarious take on life when you're trying to balance raising a family with everything else. The series, produced by comedy dynamo Lorne Michaels, stars Christina Applegate, "Saturday Night Live" alumna Maya Rudolph and funnyman Will Arnett. Applegate, a high-powered working woman who recently became a first-time mom, struggles to maintain her career working under the demanding Rudolph while making time with stay-at-home husband Arnett and her new baby. Sure, the story line may not be the freshest of the bunch. However, with a trio of well-established and gifted comedians, "Up All Night" could definitely see success in its Wednesday night time slot.

If You Like: "Two and a Half Men"
Try: "How to Be a Gentleman"
Premiere: Thursday, Sept. 29, 8:30 p.m. on CBS

What happens when a fast-talking muscle man is hired to beef up a well-spoken columnist? CBS hopes to answer that question with its new series "How to Be a Gentleman," which follows the tumultuous friendship between the uptight Andrew Carlson (played by David Hornsby) and the sloppier, mouthier and more aggressive personal trainer Bert Lansing, played by Kevin Dillon. Hornsby plays a writer who is forced by his editor to change up his style and become more "sexy" in his work. Thus, Hornsby hires Dillon, a badass from his past as his life coach to teach him how to be less refined and more manly. Natural hilarity ensues as the brash Dillon takes on the gentler Hornsby, goading and punching his student until he changes his well-mannered ways.