Running backs battle for backup spot

Second-string position likely to be decided after season opener

The race to become Marcus Lattimore’s backup is too close to call, so it will extend into the start of the season.

“I think as far as who is going to be the No. 2 ... it needs to be decided probably in the game,” said running backs coach Jay Graham after practice Tuesday. “I think as we go through the early part of the season, we’ll find out on that. They’ve all been doing very well.”

Graham’s “they” consists of redshirt junior Kenny Miles, the team’s leading rusher in 2009, and true freshmen Shon Carson and Brandon Wilds. Earlier in the summer it appeared inevitable one of the two rookies, most likely Wilds, would redshirt. Graham said Tuesday no decisions have been made on either player at this point.

“Well, we’re still going to look at them, but they’re doing a good job,” Graham said of Carson and Wilds. “They’re competing very well, breaking tackles and making some big plays. They’re making it hard. It’s a competitive position, so it’s been good.”

Lattimore said whoever ends up being his understudy will be a deserving choice.

“All of [the backs] are good,” he said. “All of them can run, all of them can catch and block. We’ve got a great group of running backs.”

Lack of contact for Lattimore is no problem: Lattimore has participated sparingly when it comes to USC’s full-speed scrimmages this preseason. However, the Heisman Trophy candidate said he doesn’t feel any less prepared because of it.

“The game is more mental than physical,” said Lattimore, who added that he goes through practice drills with intensity equivalent to what he would experience in a scrimmage.

Ellington credits Sanders: Several people, including coach Steve Spurrier, have remarked this summer about the ease with which slotback Bruce Ellington has learned the offense since joining the team from the men’s basketball squad. Ellington said he credits teammate and fellow receiver Ace Sanders for his quick learning curve.

“The reason I really soaked it up was because of Ace,” Ellington said. “Every day, he’s just reminding me of what I’ve got to do and where I’ve got to be at.”

Jackson dismissed from UT program: Tennessee coach Derek Dooley announced Wednesday that junior safety Janzen Jackson has been dismissed from the program.

Jackson did not enroll at UT for the Spring 2011 semester in order to deal with what school officials called “personal problems.” He was reinstated to the team prior to the beginning of preseason practice.

“Our program has devoted a tremendous amount of energy, resources, support, and care in an effort to help Janzen manage his personal challenges,” Dooley said in a release. “I will always be there to help him as a person, but there comes a time when a player’s actions preclude him from the privilege of playing for the University of Tennessee football team. Although I’m disappointed with this outcome, we will never compromise the long-term organizational values and goals we maintain here at Tennessee.”

Jackson was a second-team All-SEC selection last fall, recording 69 tackles and five interceptions.