The Mix Tape: Five free music downloading websites we're thinking about this week

Amazon, 'Spin,' Tweet for a Track, NoiseTrade, Last.fm offer listeners songs from up-and-coming artists

www.amazon.com

Everyone who downloads music is probably aware of the fact that the iTunes store features several free tracks each week. But what’s lesser known is that Amazon, iTunes’ top competitor, also gives out free downloads on its site. Amazon adds new deals daily and tries to bring up-and-coming artists to the public through its free downloads. Listed under “Artists on the Rise” on Amazon’s mp3 page, free downloads cover all genres and include a list of comparable acts, allowing you to tailor your tracks to artists already in your music library. Check out Natalia Kills’ “Wonderland,” SBTRKT’s “Living Like I Do (feat. Sampha)” and William Fitzsimmons’ “The Tide Pulls from the Moon.” Currently, there are nine “Artists on the Rise” for August, each with an accompanying free track. And, if you can’t find something you like on the free list, Amazon song downloads start at 69 cents, which is still quite a steal compared to newly released iTunes purchases and in-store albums.

www.spin.com

“Spin” magazine has been a trusted authority for new music and artists on the brink of their careers for years, covering the indie and Top 40 acts with the some of the most concentrated and artistically riveting features and insight. The magazine features a free playlist on its website each month in conjunction with iTunes, providing readers with a code to download an expertly-crafted playlist from the Apple’s music mega site. Right now, fans can snag 13 “Hot Songs for August,” which include “Broken Bone” by Iceage and “You Can’t Keep Me” by Amy LaVere. And, grab double the swag with September’s 10 “Cool Songs,” housing the likes of Pictureplan and Milagres. No need to be a subscriber or frequent customer to reap the benefits of these playlists. To download “Spin’s” latest offerings, just visit spin.com/itunes.

www.tweetforatrack.com

Obsessed with Twitter? It’s time to fill your feed with free tracks from artists trying to make it in the biz. Tweet for a Track, a new music promotion site, has gotten thousands of tweeters on board, promoting lesser-known artists, all while allowing users to score some sweet downloads. The site allows music lovers to download original songs and covers from underground artists in exchange for a promotional tweet. There is no limit to the amount of downloads, but access to each track does require a tweet, and there might be some “unfollows” in your future if you jump on board with the site’s new music and social media combo. Currently, the top 5 downloaded songs on Tweet for a Track include “I Hate Myself,” a pop hit by Mat Musto, and “Colour in the Covers” by A Sleepless Melody. To get started and track the entire site’s newest downloads, follow @tweetforatrack on Twitter.

www.noisetrade.com

Like Tweet for a Track, NoiseTrade brings listeners into the promotion process, exchanging social media posts or an email for free downloads. NoiseTrade users can email friends, tweet or post on Facebook to tell others about artists featured on the site and their free music. The website typically features multi-song samplers and EPs, giving indie music hunters a better look into the styles of some new artists. And if you like what you find on NoiseTrade, the site has a feature that allows you to “tip” the artist for their music, with a sliding bar from $1 to $100. Some of the artists spotlighted on the site’s home page include Darren Flowers, The Civil Wars and Katie Herzig, who have made a name for themselves in each of their respective scenes. Follow the music service on Twitter @noisetrade and “like” them on Facebook to boost your library with some new names and support the industry’s newcomers.

www.last.fm

Last.fm is a more established music recommendation website with a social networking component. Like popular music streaming site Pandora, Last.fm keeps a record of every song you listen to and like (a process the site calls “scrobbling”) and recommends other tracks and artists you may like. Musicians across multiple genres have been using Last.fm to connect with other artists and fans. The site features blogs, an event calendar and comment boards in addition to a large selection of tracks available for free download. Current tracks available for download on the site include “Calgary” by Bon Iver, “Car Crash” by Telekinesis, “Home (RAC Mix)” by Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros and “Coquet Coquette” by Of Montreal. In order to access content on Last.fm, listeners must create a profile. Membership is free and creating a profile only takes about two minutes.