Two-A-Days: Florida

Muschamp back home in SEC

USC vs. FLORIDA GATORS on 11/12
Coach: Will Muschamp (first season at UF)
Last Season: 8-5 (4-4 SEC), defeated Penn State in Outback Bowl
Last Meeting with USC: 2010 (USC 36-14)
All-Time Series vs. USC: Florida leads 23-5-3

Will Muschamp comes to Florida after three seasons at Texas.

That doesn't mean the Gators' new coach lacks familiarity with the Southeastern Conference.

Muschamp grew up in Gainesville, Fla. He played four seasons at Georgia. He coached at Auburn and LSU. One of his mentors was Alabama coach Nick Saban. One of his good friends is Tennessee coach Derek Dooley.

In short, there won't be any surprises for Muschamp as he goes about trying to inject new life into a storied program that sputtered last season in Urban Meyer's last season.

"I've got high expectations for what we need to accomplish, what we need to do," said Muschamp at SEC Media Days last month. "We talk to our team all the time about winning championships on and off the field."

Offense: The Gators have won two BCS national titles (2006 and 2008) in the last five seasons. Those days feel long ago, though, after a disappointing 2010 campaign thanks to a porous offense, which many pin on Meyer's insistence on running the spread offense that made Tim Tebow a Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback with his less mobile successor John Brantley.

That will not be the case under Muschamp, whose coaching philosophy is to operate schemes similar to those used in the National Football League. Muschamp said the three things he wants every Florida player to get out of their time in school is an education, a championship and a chance to play in the NFL.

As a result, his staff has several decades of combined professional coaching experience.

The most notable name on staff is the man who will work directly with Brantley, offensive coordinator Charlie Weis. The hope in Gainesville is that if anyone can help Brantley reach his potential, it is Weis, who counts Tom Brady, Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn as pupils from his days as offensive coordinator for the New England Patriots and Kansas City Chiefs and head coach at Notre Dame.

Brantley, who was born here in Columbia, has nothing but positive things to say about his time with Weis so far.

"It's awesome [having Weis on staff]," said Brantley at Media Days. "It's an honor to play for him. Just in the last six months, I've been learning just as much as I can."

Brantley's job will be made much easier knowing that Jeff Demps, who was rumored to potentially be leaving the program to focus on track, will indeed be with him in the backfield at tailback along with Trey Burton and Chris Rainey.

Offensive line will be a concern, as there is little experience and no starter older than a junior. The receiving corps is relatively young, but has some size and speed. There weren't many chances for pass catchers in Meyer's offense — UF's leading receiver, the returning Deonte Thompson, had only 570 yards and a touchdown — but Muschamp is expected to let Brantley throw more.

Defense: Defense is Muschamp's forte, and his presence has been felt in the defensive unit.

"He's big about doing things 'The Florida Way,' playing hard, running to the ball," said defensive end William Green at Media Days. "He's a bit more intense, more of a defensive mind."

Green is part of a tremendously talented, experienced and deep defensive line that will be the strength of the unit. There are questions beyond the first level, though.

UF is set at linebacker with guys like Jelani Jenkins and Jon Bostic, but there is little experience behind them. One injury could cripple the linebacking corps.

That is the last thing Muschamp and new defensive coordinator Dan Quinn want, considering they are likely to use a 3-4 front frequently this season.

In the secondary, the dismissal of Janoris Jenkins has destabilized the situation a bit. The Gators still have experienced players in each starting role, but like with the linebackers, there's no experience behind them. Again, one injury could mean disaster.

Special teams: Talented but shaky kicker Caleb Sturgis is back. He'll be joined by true freshman punter Kyle Christy, who has the unenviable role of following All-American Chas Henry. Andre Debose and Rainey should handle the return duties.

Schedule analysis: A 2-0 start should be easy with Florida Atlantic and UAB to open the season. From there is anyone's guess. Games against Tennessee and Kentucky are winnable but daunting. A four-game midseason stretch of Alabama, LSU, Auburn and Georgia won't do any favors. Even after that, USC and Florida State lurk down the stretch. If UF plays its trademark defense and gets anything out of Brantley and the offense, it should be able to get to six wins and a bowl game. There isn't much margin for error, though, with such a tough schedule.

The final word: When asked how it feels to be a "Georgia guy" coaching the Gators, Muschamp replied, "I'm a Florida guy."