Justin Willman proves magic tricks aren't just for kids

Carolina Productions brings national television personality to campus

Most college students think magic shows are just for kids. Entertainer Justin Willman aimed to change the minds of USC students with his show in the Russell House Ballroom Thursday night.

"My goal is to make everyone here feel like a kid again," Willman said. "I'm trying to go back to that time when we were six and anything was possible."

Willman, who hosts the Food Network's "Cupcake Wars" and has appeared on "The View" and "Chelsea Lately," was voted Performer of the Year 2010 by Campus Activities Magazine and has brought his show to college campuses across the country. Willman said receiving the award was "huge."

"College students are a tough crowd," Willman said. "Performing on campuses made me a better performer."

Willman's show, which was sponsored by Carolina Productions, mixed jokes and magic tricks that ranged from cheesy to impressive. Jokes included pop culture references ("I am the Usher to your Justin Bieber") and political commentary (the Sarah Palin card shuffle — "looks good, does nothing").

He displayed rope tricks and card tricks that have been mastered by many magicians but also shared some unique tricks that audience members were unlikely to have seen before.

One of the most memorizing tricks Willman displayed was something he referred to as "reverse recycling." This trick involved Willman removing the dents from an empty Coca-Cola can and turning it into a sealed, full can.

Willman's favorite trick was a "compatibility test" for a dating couple. Willman poured a cup of Coke for both participants and had them close their eyes and spin in a circle while holding their cups on their heads. Willman drank the soda out of the girl's cup but didn't touch the boy's cup, leaving audience members on the edge of their seats as he made both volunteers turn their cups over onto their heads. To the audience's amazement, both cups were empty.

The entertainer also singled out several audience members to assist him with tricks and as victims of his light-hearted heckling.

Third-year marine science student Kelida Lowry was chosen to assist Willman with a rope trick. Lowry was skeptical about the show, but left with a new impression of magicians.

"It was really awesome and really impressive," Lowry said. "I've never really been a fan of magic, but I enjoyed [the show]."

Second-year physics student Graeme Rock made this mistake of sitting on the front row and became a target of Willman's jokes throughout the entire show, but Rock said he knew it was all in good fun.

"He's a cool guy, so it was hilarious," Rock said.

The final trick of the night required Willman to levitate a table. The trick included John Mayer's song "Gravity" as a hilarious soundtrack.

Willman will host Food Network's new show "Halloween Wars" this October. For more information about Willman, visit his Facebook page or follow him on Twitter at @Justin_Willman.