Kratch: The football gods were with South Carolina in this one

Someone was looking out for the Gamecocks against Georgia

ATHENS, Ga. — Chalk this one up for divine intervention, because that's the best way to explain all that happened here.

"Maybe the football gods are smiling on us for a little while," said Steve Spurrier after South Carolina's 45-42 victory at Sanford Stadium. They must be, because the Gamecocks had no business winning this game, but still did.

Georgia was the better, more inspired team. The Bulldogs let it all hang out on offense, defense and special teams, outplaying USC in every facet of the game knowing the outcome would define their season and determine their embattled coach's quality of life going forward.

But it didn't matter. Every time the Bulldogs zigged, Carolina zagged. USC caught every good bounce and lucky break imaginable in such amazing fashion, something greater had to be afoot.

"It was meant to be for us," said quarterback Stephen Garcia. "It was our day to win."

Blair Walsh's missed 33-yard field goal attempt and Jay Wooten's converted 49-yard try into the wind. Georgia's brilliant surprise onside kick nullified after an offside penalty. Melvin Ingram's now-legendary triple crown of a 68-yard fake punt run for a touchdown, game-winning fumble recovery for a touchdown and game-sealing onside kick recovery. Stephon Gilmore's 56-yard fumble recovery and Antonio Allen's interception return for a touchdown. Jadeveon Clowney's forced fumble of Aaron Murray to set up Ingram's second touchdown.

Every single thing went USC's way when it needed it most. For whatever reason, it all worked for the Gamecocks between the hedges, and they left Sanford Stadium with a win you can't help but shake your head about.

The type of win that, as an older gentleman said in the press room after it was over, South Carolina just doesn't get over the years. But the Gamecocks got it somehow. After years of hanging tough and making every play but the one needed to claim victory, it was South Carolina who fell into the win and Georgia who made the valiant but ultimately futile try.

With such a triumph in hand, every single thing Carolina has ever dreamed about is possible. This is the win the Gamecocks can put in their back pocket and present any time their legitimacy as an SEC and — yes, after this one it can realistically be said — national championship contender is challenged.

Does USC have problems that need to be addressed? No doubt. The passing offense is in a funk, and the defense, especially the secondary, has laid two eggs to start the season. Some of it has to do with field position on both ends, sure. But neither unit has played very well and both have left much to be desired.

For now, though, the Gamecocks are 2-0 and staring a 6-0 start head-on. They are the No. 11 team in the nation. And they are firmly in control of their own destiny. Many games remain, but chances are, in the end this one will determine who wins the SEC East and heads to Atlanta.

Despite their 0-2 start, if the Bulldogs play with the passion and composure they showed against USC, their wins are coming fast and in bulk. Mark Richt will not be fired, nor should he be. Georgia is far from dead in the divisional race. The Bulldogs can still win this thing.

But South Carolina has the one win Georgia can no longer obtain: the head-to-head one. The Gamecocks got it because, unlike their forbearers, they found a way in the end. It wasn't pretty and it certainly wasn't without adversity, but it was successful.

"I've never won a game like this, that I can remember," Spurrier said.

Gamecock fans are with you, Steve. So too, apparently, were a few folks up above.

As Spurrier would say, God, or in this case gods, smiled on the Gamecocks. There's just no other way to explain it otherwise.