On the town: Athens

Everything you need to know for this weekend's trip to see the Gamecocks

Drive a few blocks.

You'll find a downtown so crazy, a campus so beautiful and an experience so grand you'll never want to leave. It is easy to hate Georgia football and its horrible railroad song. It is hard to hate Athens.

This is a college town, and it's a good one. Live bands rock the bars in one of America's most underrated music locales. Drinks are cheap. The restaurants are off-beat and delicious. And on football weekends, the electric atmosphere will rival any school in the country.

Even if you hate football and hate Georgia, go to Athens. You won't regret it — but your liver might.

RESTAURANTS

Graze Burgers & Salads
227 Prince Ave.
Graze, the Bottleworks' burger joint, serves up mini three-ounce specialty burgers and build-your-own creations, acting as the perfect stop for on-budget dining. The "grazers" are a list of uniquely crafted burgers, including the pepperoni pizza, Gator Hater and Falafel of Arabia, and all pricing in under $5.99. And, vegetarians, don't you fret — Graze adds an edge to its menu with Southwestern black bean and barbecue tofu burgers. Graze is open Sunday through Thursday, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Friday and Saturday, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Five Star Day
229 E. Broad St.
Athens' "gourmet soul" café Five Star Day whips up all the Southern favorites in kitchen, open for breakfast, lunch, dinner and weekend brunch. Right off the bat, Five Star lets its cuisine be known with fried green tomatoes and potato cakes kicking off the starters menu. Classics like the hot buttered soul chicken and stuffed meatloaf, each for under $10, shake up other menus on the restaurant list, with comfort roasts, including Linda's pot roast and cherry-apple pork roast, solidifying Five Star's Southern soul. And, weekend brunch is a must, with Southern fried chicken, scrambles and blueberry oatmeal pancakes as just a few of the homegrown staples. Five Star Day is open Monday through Thursday, 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., Friday 7 a.m. to 11 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. and Sunday 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Taqueria del Sol
334 Prince Ave.
Priding itself on a simple but well-done menu, Taqueria del Sol boasts a mix of homemade Mexican, Southwestern and Southern dishes. With an order-yourself counter setup, but plenty of seating for the dine-in experience, the Taqueria sticks to a small budget with its choices of tacos and enchiladas. Memphis, or smoked pork, brisket and fried chicken tacos top the list, with cheese and refried bean enchiladas doing their best with a simple plate. But the real draw is Taqueria's build-your-own margaritas, with a selection of more than 40 tequilas and triple sec, Patron Citronge and Grand Marnier. Taqueria del Sol is open Monday through Friday 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., Friday and Saturday 5 to 10 p.m. and Saturday noon to 3 p.m.

Your Pie
350 E. Broad St.
What's a weekend in Athens without a great slice of pizza? Your Pie offers a nice selection of "our favorites" pizzas, as well as paninis and salads, but the real appeal is in their build-your-own pie selection. Each pizza is custom-made right in front of your eyes, popped into the oven and ready to eat in less than 10 minutes. Sun-dried tomato, basil pesto and ranchy marinara round off the sauce menu and toppings like banana peppers, pineapple and spinach make for the ultimate treat pizzas, starting at $6. Gluten-free and wheat crusts are also available. Your Pie is open Monday through Wednesday, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Thursday through Sunday, 11 a.m. to 3 a.m.

BARS

Magnolia's
312 E. Broad St.
Drink specials:
Happy Hour (4 – 9 p.m. daily): well drinks $2, call drinks $5, domestics $2, import/crafts $3
Power Hour (9 – 11 p.m. daily): well drinks $2, Pabst Blue Ribbon and Miller High Life $2, wine and champagne $3

Bourbon Street
333 E. Broad St.
Drink specials:
$1 well drinks and drafts (10 – 11 p.m.), $1 Kamikaze shots, $1 Natural Light cans, $4 Yuengling cans

9d's Bar
400 E. Clayon St.
Drink specials:
$2 domestics, $3 wells and wine, 3 for $10 Jägerbombs

General Beauregard's
164 E. Clayton St.
Drink specials:
$3 wells (Fridays and Saturdays until 3 p.m.), Dixie Sweet Tea (non-alcoholic)

Barcode
166 E. Clayton St.
Value Menu: The Barcodian (Miller Lite and Barcode Bull, $5.75), The Cheapster (Mickey's and Fager shot, $3.50), The Princess (champagne and lemon drop shot, $4.25) and more.