Preseason hype continues for South Carolina

Spurrier Jr. pleased with program's offseason attention

All-American Alshon Jeffery can add another honor to the pile.

He is his position coach’s Facebook profile picture.

“The cover of my Facebook page is Alshon Jeffery’s Sports Illustrated cover,” receivers coach Steve Spurrier Jr. said. “[Making an SI cover] doesn’t happen a lot. That’s certainly an impressive recognition to Alshon, to South Carolina and to our football program.”

Jeffery’s appearance with four other nationally-recognized players on the storied publication’s annual college football preview is just one of several instances this summer where the Gamecocks, ranked No. 12 in the preseason AP poll, have received national media attention. On Sunday, the New York Post picked USC to win the national championship.

Spurrier Jr., who also serves as the team’s recruiting coordinator, said the hype is a good thing when it comes to the recruiting trail. The buzz had led to more attention from recruits who may not have been considering the Gamecocks at first.

“That’s exposure, that’s publicity,” he said. “It absolutely helps.”

Still, there’s no quarterback decision: Another day has passed without USC naming a starting quarterback.

Neither Stephen Garcia, Connor Shaw nor head coach Steve Spurrier were available for comment after practice. However, Spurrier did speak on the SEC teleconference early Wednesday. He said Shaw has, in some ways, been superior to Garcia this preseason, but a decision on the starter should be made Friday, as both will play.

“Connor Shaw has actually performed a little bit better than Stephen through our scrimmages,” Spurrier said.

That fact may be enough for Garcia’s 28 game consecutive start streak to end, Spurrier said, stressing a Shaw start wouldn’t be a shock.

“Don’t be surprised [if Shaw] starts,” he said.

Spurrier high on Texas A&M: Spurrier said it would be a “huge addition” if Texas A&M joins the SEC as the league’s 13th member.

“They’re a big time institution, excellent athletic department, all their sports are very good,” he said. “So, if it happens, we certainly welcome them then.”

In a letter to Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe, Texas A&M President R. Bowen Loftin said his school will submit a membership application to another conference — likely the SEC — and leave the Big 12 on June 30, 2012 if the application is accepted.

Once it applies, Texas A&M should have sufficient support among the 12 current SEC presidents and chancellors to garner the nine votes necessary for membership.

Elliott and McNeill reunite: Saturday will be a reunion of sorts for East Carolina head coach Ruffin McNeill and USC offensive line coach Shawn Elliott.

McNeill was the defensive coordinator when Elliott played defensive end at Appalachian State. The two don’t talk much these days, but McNeill spoke glowingly of his former charge, calling Elliott “smart as a whip” and commending his competitive nature.

“I’d do anything in the world for Shawn,” McNeill said.