Rivalries boost potential, break down boundaries

Study shows that competitive instinct produces surprising performance

You tried. You pushed yourself. You gave it your all. You didn't quite make it, but your best is your best, right? We all have our limits. While all this is true, a study from Northumbria University in England is proving that what many perceive as their limit could be less than what they are actually capable of achieving. And they can prove it scientifically.

ryan_celley_001WEBIn the study, scientists told a number of professional cyclists to pedal as hard as they could on a stationary bike for 2.5 miles. They did this multiple times until the participants were sure their "best" time was recorded. The cyclists were then told — even paid — to beat that record, and they tried to no avail. Then, the stationary bike was hooked to a television screen with an avatar representing the cyclist. A second avatar was added, and the cyclist was told it was another professional who was riding in another room. In reality, this "competitor" was the original cyclist's best run but programmed to be 2 percent faster. The riders were able to beat the avatar, sometimes by a significant margin.

While only a theory, the scientists believe that this is a self-preservation mechanism. Your brain tells the rest of the body it has less energy than it actually has so that you can't work yourself to the point of exhaustion as easily. However, back when competition meant life or death, the brain was a little more flexible with the use of these reserves during struggles against others. While we aren't necessarily fighting for food or our lives on a regular basis these days, the mechanism still remains intact.

All that's left now is to use this to your advantage. To put it simply: Find a rival. You don't have to hate them (you could even be best friends); you just need someone you want to be better than, whether that is a workout buddy or a study partner. Ideally, someone just above your level is best, but if you have the time and are willing to put in the effort, the phrase, "shoot for the moon" will apply.

So you don't think you can bench that extra 10 pounds? Don't think you can study enough to make that "A"? Next time, remember that you are likely able to do more than you think. Don't just do your best; do better than someone else's best.