'Warrior' brings new edge, real acting talent to fight film genre

“Warrior” is rare, a fight film that brings something new to the genre.

This is an exceptional mixed martial arts movie that focuses less on going for the gold and relies more on a heartfelt, if slightly melodramatic, story that centers on reconciliation within a dysfunctional family.

The narrative is “Raging Bull” (1980) meets “The Fighter” (2010) meets the biblical story of Cain and Abel, focusing on three men: two brothers, Tommy (Tom Hardy) and Brendan Conlon (Joel Edgerton), and their father Paddy (Nick Nolte).

Younger brother Tom is an ex-Marine with a tragic past who returns to his hometown of Pittsburgh to train for an MMA tournament called Sparta, the supposed “Super Bowl of mixed martial arts.” He enlists with the help of his father, a recovering alcoholic 1,000 days sober, despite not being on speaking terms with him due to Paddy’s previous record of alcoholism and spousal abuse.

Meanwhile, across the state, older brother Brendan has retired from fighting and settled down with his wife (“House’s” Jennifer Morrison) while taking a job as a high school physics teacher. In need of more money to avoid foreclosure, Brendan begins to moonlight in low-level MMA contests, which results in a suspension from his teaching job. His only option comes down to entering the Sparta tournament and taking home the $5 million in prize money.

Upon viewing this premise, it becomes very apparent that these two brothers will eventually meet in the final round for the championship. But that is one of the most absorbing aspects of the film. Instead of offering the usual “good fighter versus bad fighter” dynamic that fighting films tediously rely on, the story gives audiences a complex, climactic battle. It doesn’t rely on who comes out on top, but instead on salvation, resolve and the conquering of inner demons.

If there is any significant flaw in the film, it’s that director and co-writer Gavin O’Connor (“Miracle” (2004)) piles on the fight genre clichés during the tournament sequence, such as the big, bad Russian fighter and the sense of underdog vindication. Then again, many of the greater fight films, like “Rocky” (1976) and “The Fighter,” are also clichéd and predictable.

O’Connor manages to go beyond these clichés by providing exhilarating fight scenes and a dark, sincere story. The amount of depth within the overall story is surprising for a film like this, offering sufficient insight into each of the main character’s psyches.

The fight scenes are smartly choreographed and so riveting that audiences are sure to gasp and awe at the brutal encounters. The whiteboard in Brendan’s fighting coach’s office reads, “Who controls the pace controls the victory” (one of the film’s several apposite metaphors).

Each of the three men fight in his own pace: Tommy goes straight for the knockout, Brendan takes a beating until his opponent’s weakness is uncovered and Paddy beats himself over his past mistakes.

The all-around powerful performances from the entire cast are what really strengthen “Warrior,” most notably Hardy and Nolte. Hardy, who has elevated into stardom with his roles in “Bronson” (2009) and “Inception” (2010) is sensational as the strongly distressed Tommy.

At first, the audience sees Tommy simply as a personification of anger and aggression. But as his deeply rooted back story begins to unfold, more definition is added to his character and the audience begins to see a tortured soul, shameful of his past despite his hero status.

Nolte is pitch-perfect as Paddy, a troubled father seeking forgiveness from his sons after years of abusing and disregarding them. This is Nolte’s best performance since his Oscar-nominated performance in “Affliction” (1998), and, if there’s any justice in the world, he should gain another nomination for this role.

“Warrior” is emotionally appealing, terrifically acted and thrilling, impressing with real, raw characters who add a new edge to the expected in the fight genre.