African economy priority over democracy

Developed countries must work with continent

While some countries, such as China, are eyeing Africa's abundant natural resources, the West is largely concerned with helping Africa transition in its political systems, specifically toward democracy.

In many countries in Africa, both political and economic systems are in apparent need of major revision and improvement. But in a world where stable political structures and a successful economy are linked together in an intricate web, the question of what to fix first does not always come with a simple answer.

At present, many countries in Africa are already working on the establishment of democracy, a prime example being the Libyan overthrow of former ruler Moammar Gadhafi. Tunisia and Egypt have also recently engaged in revolutions for democracy.

However, what these countries, and others that wish to see a democratized and prosperous Africa, must keep in mind is that a simple transition to democracy, be it via revolution or some other method, doesn't guarantee successful democratization.

In order for a democratic system to provide the ideal benefits to the citizens, it first has to survive.

A country must first ensure that it has secure enough conditions in which the democracy can continue, conditions that largely involve socioeconomic stability. When the Libyan people first overthrew Gadhafi in 2010, the celebration was followed by disarray, and the question of "what to do next" was on everyone's minds.

To date, Libya still has not found an answer, and speculations of civil war are now pending in the air.

Without some degree of organization first, there is a high chance that a country in its social chaos or poverty will relapse back into an authoritarian regime, turning to the power of a leader or group of leaders to bring the people back into a stable system.

When such concerns exist, there is also a greater need from the citizens to share their voices and a call to maintain democracy, giving a democratic system the chance to thrive and further its benefits to other sectors of a country.

Finally, the West, if it wishes to assist Africa and other developing countries in their socioeconomic growth, should also remember that democracy does not necessarily precede wealth.

Rather, it is often wealth that precedes the success of democracy.
These developed countries should find ways to work economically with countries in Africa that would be mutually beneficial but non-exploitative.

Only by first bringing a country out of poverty in an ethical manner can the world hope to see continued success in other institutions.