Anonymous’s anti-Facebook ploy admirable

Feds unable to police Internet, hacktivist group intervenes

Anonymous, an internet hacking ring that induces civil disobedience throughout the Internet, is targeting the titan of social media Mark Zuckerberg and his creation, Facebook. Anonymous should be praised for taking on Facebook for their exploitation of users’ private information.

Students seem to overlook or simply disregard that Facebook has taken their demographic information and sold that information to marketers. This is unethical.

This issue has showed that the government is incapable of regulating the Web. While it shuts down piracy sites that upload television shows and stream live television, it fails to provide basic consumer privacy protection on the Web, proving that governmental Web regulation is beyond sluggish. Hackers are able to exploit this lawless land by taking advantage of the gray areas within the system.

Privacy concerns have been an issue with Facebook for over two years, and yet just weeks ago MSNBC announced that the Congressional Bi-Partisan Caucus wants the Federal Trade Commission to begin an investigation into potential privacy violations — what took so long? In this case, it’s necessary for outside groups, such as Anonymous, to step in.

We should praise Anonymous for even attempting an attack on Facebook. Even if it fails, it’s continuing to increase awareness on a major social issue. As a Facebook user, I praise the group for going after Zuckerberg’s creation, which has chosen to disregard the concept of privacy.