Beta Theta Pi awards annual Men of Principle Scholarship

USC baseball coach Ray Tanner speaks on morality at ceremony

The organization received more than 40 applications for the award, which honors an undergraduate male not involved in Greek Life who is an example of the fraternity's ideals, according to chapter scholarship chair Mark Bearden. A committee of the chapter's members interviewed 19 semifinalists before Brunson was selected last weekend.

"We wanted somebody who really exemplified our values, meaning that they were dedicated to being a leader here in this community and to doing things the right way," Bearden said in an interview with The Daily Gamecock. "Connor told me stories [about] his aspirations for the future to help the underprivileged; he sounded like a man of integrity."

Brunson, a first-year public health and anthropology student, told The Daily Gamecock that he hoped to use the $500 award to cover room and board expenses when he travels to the Volta region of Ghana for a month next summer to volunteer in a hospital with the Volta Aid Foundation.

He also expressed his goal of making an impact locally as well, volunteering with Viva Haiti, Best Buddies and the Student United Way.

Bearden spoke of Brunson's accomplishments as well.

"He currently serves as the vice president of Capstone, doing more than just merely holding his title," Bearden said, speaking to an audience of about 50 Beta Theta Pi members and alumni. "Connor has created a comprehensive incentive system for Capstone Scholars that is designed to excite students to take part in Capstone's wide variety of academic seminars, projects and events."
Earlier in the evening, Bearden stated his organization's ideals.

"Beta Theta Pi is an organization dedicated to building men of principle for a principled life. The goal of our brotherhood is to strengthen us as individuals and influential members of their chapter and community," he said.

Coach Tanner also spoke, praising that mission.

"I have tremendous respect for what you stand for," Tanner said. "Unfortunately, it's more of a minority now than it is the majority. Hopefully, the way that you are will have lasting effects for a lot of people."

Tanner went on to recount stories from his childhood and career that influenced his beliefs and morality.

"Neither one of my parents graduated from high school. I learned a few things growing up, and one thing I did learn was right and wrong," he said. "Although my parents weren't Ivy League graduates, they had doctorate degrees in right and wrong, so I sort of had to stay the path."

Tanner also gave advice to students about protecting their reputations in a highly connected age in which cellphone cameras and social media are always present to tarnish their names.

"I think it's OK certainly to enjoy yourself. I tell my players all the time, 'I don't want you to sit in your room all the time. I want you to get out and enjoy the college experience,'" Tanner said to the gathered fraternity members. "But using judgment and being someone of principle is tremendous."